The silver Sonata

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm basing this thread on a general observation.

The Hyundai Sonata has become very popular on the roads of the DR lately.  But my observation is that the majority of those who drive them have no clue how to drive.  Is it because they run on LPG from the factory and your local Jose the motoconcho driver has elevated himself up onto four wheels?  Perhaps it's become an urban legend that you can run these things on a shoestring.

I've seen them driving in the middle of the road at 10mph with a mile-long train of traffic behind him.  I've seen them overtake a queue of stationary cars at a red light, to run the light.  In stationary traffic you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be a silver Sonata that tries to overtake or undertake the line of cars and turn a one lane carriageway into a multiple one, and then try and cut in when the traffic starts to move.  If you see a silver Sonata at a junction ahead of you wanting to turn right, he will not look your way, he will not give way, he will just pull out.  And if he wants to turn left, he will turn onto the opposite carriageway and "filter" into the lane regardless of who's coming.

They don't know how to dip their headlights at night.  Or they've upgraded their headlights with super bright xenon bulbs that are not aimed correctly.

Indicator and brake lights?  They're just for "lujo"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The car, as pointed out by caribmike, is irrelevant. It is the drivers from the same gene pool driving them that is the reason for the behavior. So many Sonatas driven erratically just makes it more obvious, especially the orange versus the silver ones.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I really haven't noticed this to be a phenomenon restricted to silver or any other Sonatas but common practices with most drivers and most types of cars, trucks buses and motorcycles. In fact Sonatas are the number one vehicle of Uber drivers, who at least when they have a passenger seem to drive much better than the typical Dominican driver on the road.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you basically described 99.9% of dominican drivers. they'd be pulling the same tricks even behind the wheel of a rolls royce phantom.