** any answers**

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
Can anyone tell me how far away nabia(spelling?) is from higuey?
How long would it take in car? Or what is the best way of transportaion from higuey to nabia?

Thanks in advance,
jessica

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is not on my map, so I imagine that it is not too far. You will probably go by minibus-a 9 passanger vehicle of Japanese or Korean origin that usually fits 19 or 20 Dominican folks.

Stop sweating this trip...You'll be fine..

HB

Musica

Mar 19, 2002
I think you mean "Nagua". I'm not sure how far it is but someone on this board will know!!

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
No thats not it. I think it is naba(I spelled it just like it sounds).
I think it is in the west, very close to haiti?!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Neyba!! Man oh man was i way off the mark!!...

It is on the other side of the country and one full day's ride.
If you go by car, you go into Santo Domingo, then thru San Cristobal, Ban?, Azua, turn off to Vicente Noble, thru Tamayo and then right on the highway to Neiba...Neiba is famous for producing excellent students...don't know why. Especially for the Instituto Superior de Agricultura (our Texas A&M). Dr. P?rez Cuevas, the national Controller and Director of the Budget is from there. Neiba is the gateway to Lago Enriquillo the below-sealevel lake that is one of the oddities of the DR...

HB

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
Thats ok hillbilly even you are allowed to be wrong sometimes!
So it looks like I have a long day of driving, on the plus side I get to see the all the wonderful scenere.

Muah!!!!!!!!
jessica

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I hope that you are not going to be the driver!

The road form San Cristobal to Ban? is one of the most dangerous in the country.

the drive itself is quite easy. You just keep going west. There are no big turns until you get to Vicente Noble and Tamayo...

but man oh man what a day of driving. Do Start early so the sun is at your back most of the way.This is something that many Dominicans don't understand.

You will be going into one of the poorest areas of the country and yet very interesting. The really "country" houses are made of intertwined twigs, usually covered with mud and have low hanging thatched roofs. You MUST take pictures if you find some, since they are slowly going away. Remember that the entire trip has to be documented for us here on DR1....Just like Da PIB did onher trip to Montecriste...

Have fun..

HB

PS From your original post: You asked about "nabia" . If you had just switched that 'b' and 'i' around! You see, I forgot you have that "Upstate New York Twang", , so I saw "nah ba" in your later posting, and the others correctly got it as neiba!! LOL!!!

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
hillbilly I have no upstate ny twang, in fact I am loosing my nyc accenct.

Dont tell me that you are one of those men against woman drivers, I think I could drive circles around you!!!!!!

The reason we are going to neiba is because his mother was born there. I told him( my fiance) I dont wnat to go to DR as a tourist, I want to go as I am visiting my second home! Which means no hotels no frills!

I will take so many pics that I dont think this website could hol them all, but if I come back( I am so sure that when I go I wont want to leave, but ruben dosnt want to live there) I will overload the site with my pics OK Adios!!!!!!!!!!

MUAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jessica

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is not the "female" driver that worries me, it is the "uninitiated to the driving in the DR" that scares the hell outta me!!

Unless you were a taxi driver in NYC, you will be greatly under-equipped to handle traffic here. Remember, there are lots of Dominican taxi drivers in NYC and you see what they do!!

Besides, you can't take pictures unless you ride, not drive....

HB

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
for your saftey and piece of mind hillbilly I wont drive, feel safer now.

The way my fiance drives I will be to busy holding on for my life to take pictures, and if I do get any they will be streaked with his speed!!!!

MUAH!!!!!!!!!!
jessica