San Rafael del Yuma

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Has anyone visted this town, know anything about it. I've been to Higuey, I have an idea on what I can expect, would white tourists be welcome in this town. I will be travelling to San Rafael del Yuma on my next trip to the DR and stopping for a quick visit.

Last edited:

susie x

Jan 17, 2004
san rafael del yuma

gonzaga said:
Has anyone visted this town, know anything about it. I've been to Higuey, I have an idea on what I can expect, would white tourists be welcome in this town. I will be travelling to San Rafael del Yuma on my next trip to the DR and stopping for a quick visit.

Hi I saw your post when I typed in this town, do you know of an on line map of this town,I have tried loads of sites but am now going around in circles, it is a street map I am after.

Thanks

Susie x

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
All Tourists are Welcome

gonzaga said:

San Rafael de Yuma is noted for its famous resident "Ponce de Leon" who settled there during the early 1500 's and there is a museum of sorts in the pueblo. Seems he was tired of fighting in Higuey and decided to do some farming. Also, a nearby place to visit is sleepy Boca de Yuma (Mouth of the Yuma River). It is a small pueblo on bluffs overlooking the coast. There is a restauraunt on one of the bluffs that affords a neat view of the bluffs and ocean. You can hire one of the small boats to ford across the river to the beach.

I doubt there are any tourist maps of this town. When you come out of La
Romana heading east towards Higuey after about 30 km the road will split north to Higuey and south to San Rafael - Boca de Yuma. There is a great scenic long distance view of the towering arch of the basilica in Higuey along this road. It is a great day trip out of La Romana or Punta Cana.

Regards,
PJT