Need Advice from Dr. Guzman

BCarey

Mar 15, 2018
Hello!

I am a 56 year old American, working like a slave in the Dominican Republic for the last 4 years, for very low wages. I hold a B.A. in German, and an M.Ed. in Counseling from UNH, but connections are everything here, and I have none. The rooming house I reside in is owned by my mother, who is almost 80 years old, and in the advanced stages of Parkinson's disease. She is far from competent. A Dominican family has lived in and run the place for 30 years. I was the only member of our family who never came here at all, until I arrived 4 years ago. My only concerns are survival and the welfare of my three dogs. Unfortunately, other individuals, motivated by pure greed, are scheming and manipulating. My stepfather and mother originally co-owned the building. When my stepfather died, he left his half to my sister. I have never inherited a penny in the 56 years of my life. My sister would like to see the building sold, so that she can grab $20-30,000. My mother and stepfather, at some point, sold one apartment to a wealthy Canadian, who also wants the building sold, and has now actually colluded with my incompetent mother to give him power of attorney to sell it. I am not included in any of these manipulations. I am a very straight forward person, to put it mildly, and there is going to be some confrontation in the very near future. No one has any concern regarding the Dominican family, me, or my dogs. Do I have any legal recourse, before thing get out of hand?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you can't convince your Mother to add you to her will, your cooked and will eventually need to find somewhere else to live. Sounds like the interests of your sister, the one apt owner and perhaps others see selling the building as the best long term option for them and should the opportunity arise when your Mother passes, that is what will probably happen.

If the will lists you and your sister as co-owners, you're still going to have a scuffle on your hands. If you are not prepared to buy out the other parties with an interest in the building so that you own and control it going forward, eventually you will be worn down and forced to get on board and sell.

Bare survival is not necessarily the best option for someone who is in their prime money making years. Maybe it's time to go make a nest egg for your eventual retirement and possible return to the DR at a later date. If you wish to live here unmolested by others you need to own your own home, otherwise, the continuity of your situation can change at anytime.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Post deleted by moderator. See post #5

Last edited by a moderator:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
From what I can tell form your post, the property is now owned by your mother and your sister 50-50. Does title to the property reflect this? You say that a wealthy Canadian "colluded with my incompetent mother to give him power of attorney to sell it". Have you started incompetency proceedings regarding your mother? This could be a way to prevent the sale of the property.