Barter

Farmboy

Apr 29, 2002
My wife and I are returning to the DR after 18 years since our last visit. On the firt trip we met a gentleman from New York that was originally from the DR. He brought a number of items (pencils, baseball caps, etc.) that he used for barter. He said that the dollar is always welcome, but there were some items that were hard to get in the DR. What he didn't use for barter, he just gave to kids on the beach. Is this still the case? If so, what are some suggested items?

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Farmboy,

I think you would get alot of raised eyebrows if you tried to pay for something with pencils! It might even be insulting...

"2 Presidentes, por favor!"

"Cincuenta pesos, amigo"

"Heh, heh...Here's fifty pencils, my good man!"

*Ensuing pleito, replete with violence and bad language not suitable to post*

eric

Feb 13, 2002
I seen on a board where a woman was offered $100 for a Boston Red Sox jersey with Pedro's number on it at one of the markets.She was wearing it at the time!I don't know how true it is.If there is any truth to it,I would stock up on Baseball articles that have something to do with Dominican players.Even if you ended up giving it away,you would be making someones day for sure.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No question you could make a lot of friends giving away baseball items that can be associated with Dominican players. But except possibly for very unique and special items, you aren't likely to be able to barter with them.