Can anyone comment on the claims made in the article

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
The following article is from PuertaPlataHabla:
PUERTO PLATA.-The president of the Fishermen's Union of this province, Olivo Rodríguez, threatened to block the entrance of the Bay of Maimon so that the tourist cruisers can not touch the Amber Cove port, if the customs collector Narciso Tiburcio, puts in danger at some point the existence of his guild, which brings together one thousand seven hundred members.

Rodriguez announced that they will not allow Tiburcio to make his guild disappear, as it caused the disappearance of the Loaders and Load Dischargers Union of Puerto Plata (SIDECARZOPP) and forced the removal of the mudanceros and many importers from the local port, who left Haina, for not supporting the abusive fines imposed by the customs official.

The union leader reported during his appearance to the program "All Inclusive" that is broadcast by Musa Visión, channel 10, which have the support of the 17,417 fishermen that exist in the 17 fishing provinces of the country, which generate RD $ 3,000.0 million of the which Puerto Plata contributes a total of RD $ 2,500.0 million.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Not sure I understand the specifics of the complaint.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The fishermen would block the harbour entrance. The captain of the cruise ship would radio and ask what was going on. And someone in the coastguard office would say "Bueeeennnoooooo" .

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Not sure I understand the specifics of the complaint.

long story short, the new director of aduanas in PP is basically cracking up on those avoiding taxes. doing his job, if you may. other ports are a bit more lenient so lots of mudanceros moved away from PP for greener pastures. now he is also pressing fishing boats to pay their dues and they don't like it single bit. since, you know, they are padres de famila. and they are threatening to bite the town in the spot where it hurts the most if things don't go their way.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
If it happened the cruise ships would not come anywhere near Amber Cove until this cleared up. The cruise lines would be given plenty of warning before coming anywhere near the port so that passengers would not witness this and then write reports on social media thus potentially affecting the future cruises to the D.R. Onboard, they would make an announcement such as large swells around the port entrance preventing them to dock and they would continue their cruise with one less port of call. The cruise line is at liberty to change their itinerary at any given time, before and during the cruise and not be subjected to refunding a portion of the cruise back to the passengers. They could even use the excuse of protecting the passengers safety but they would usually put it down to weather of dangerous swells/tides. On the other side, as far as the Dominican authorities are concerned, the cruise industry in POP affects too many businesses here in the area and they would use potential force to break up any flotillas blocking Amber Cove. Itineraries are changed throughout the world for many reasons such as these, strikes, civil unrest and even election days as we all know how heated things can get when a country heads to vote. How do I know this? I worked on cruise ships in a managerial position for 5 years.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not that the DR could do with a lot less fishermen. Generally speaking, I think that they are predators and the destroyers of our reefs.

There are NO commercial fishing grounds around the Dominican Republic. The waters are too warm.

The fishermen take anything, with no regard whatsoever for season or legal closed seasons. Years and years ago there were tens of thousands of sea bass (mero) during mating season in the leeward side of Punta Rucia. They were slaughtered and today you could not find one of them if your life depended on it.

Like publico drivers and motoconchos, these persons are a scourge on the Dominican Republic.

I would love to see them all jailed and put to hard work repairing roads..

Curmudgeonly,

HB