What is the Best Film Speed??

M

Mia

This might sound like a silly questions, but it's been awhile since I've been to a place where the sun shines very brightly. Since I live in a place that is pretty gray most of the time, it is difficult for me to judge the best photo film speed to take with me to the DR. Any suggestions? Thanks.

T

Tom

A little vague. Where do you plan on shooting, inside, beaces?

A polariizing filter would be most helpful for anything outside in DR.

J

Jodi

Mia...if you're planning on taking photos mostly outside and during the day, go with 100. I used to take 400 and 200 but I find I get the best clarity and colour with 100. It's fun to take a waterproof disposable camera too.

C

claire dupont

Mia, I use the fairly new "kodak gold max 800", it seems to adjust to almost any situation. It's proven good for hi speed shots, full sunlight, low interior light, etc.. It's almost like magic for me! That's all I bring with me now. I used to bring 200, 400,and have to wait till the roll was finished to shoot low light shots. Not anymore. Best of luck and happy trails! Claire ;-)

T

Tom

To be honest, that KODAK all in one is one of the worst films on the market. It is geared toward the 400 speed and any color film will compensate 1-1 1/2 stops, so it is misleading. It is also extremely contrasty.

What are you using for a camera? Can you use filters? If you could provide more info, the same can be done for you

Tom

M

Mia

Thanks for your input. Jodi, thanks for the tip about the disposable camera. Great idea, and I will take a couple with me. Claire, I also use 800 often. I am a jewelry designer. Jewelry is one of the most difficult things of photograh and I find that the 800 compensates for the bright reflections in jewelry while at the same time picking up the colors. But about my DR trip, I am primarily concerned with overexposure in bright sunlight. Tom, I appreciate your comments. What would you suggest? I will probably be using a basic automatic viewfinder camera on this trip.

T

Tom

Mia

I don't know why you would find jewelry "difficult," unless you are using an unfiltered srobe or available light. If you are satisfied with that MAX 800, I couldn't possibly suggest anything that would fit those particular tastes.

Personally, if its a "point and shoot," I would use Ektachrome and have it transposed, but you probably don't want to go that route.

Fuji 100 , witout a filter "might" provide satisfactory outdoors on beaches etc, I would use Kodak Ultra 200 if I were shooting anything with contrasting colors, for water, without a filter, try the 200 Kodak and if your camera will allow, underexpose 1/2 to 1 stops.

It all honesty, if you are happy with the results of Kodak 800, I think anything in the 100-200 range will provide welcome result

Tom

N

Natasha Lopez

Mia,

I don't know about the waterproof disposable cameras as I have not used them. We did buy two (Kodak and Fuji) disposables on our recent trip to Key West. Don't count on having great quality pictures (I think that's common knowledge anyway). The only reason to buy disposables is if you don't have a decent regular camera with you. Ours got broken on our trip.

Regards,

Natasha

J

Jodi

I've used the Fuji disposable underwater camera a few times and I've been impressed with the quality of underwater photos. I have some great pictures of puffer fish, coral and even a stingray taken in the water at Boca Chica. If you're going to be out on a boat at all, it's also nice to not have any worries about your regular camera being damaged by the water spray. My regular camera is a Fuji 270DL zoom and I highly recommend it to everyone. It takes regular, zoom and panoramic shots.....it takes amazing photos for the price and ease of use.

T

Trudy

Just returned from Punta Cana March 5th. If you plan to enlarge any photos you take, use Kodak 100 speed film because it has very little grain. 200 speed film is OK to use for anything during daylight. 400 speed film for night, but there is not much except inside your hotel. The beaches and water are beautiful. You will love it.

M

Mia

Jodi,

Thanks for the film speed info and especially for the tip about the disposable camera. It's a great idea, especially for when we are in the water. Mia

M

Mia

Claire, yes, I know what you mean about having to accommodate different film speeds. I will definitely take some 800 with me. Also, I think Jodi's tip about the disposable waterproof camera is great. It kind of takes care of that whole issue of taking pics in the water. Thanks again. Mia

J

JD

Re: What is the Best Film Speed?/Need for Backlight Control

I just got my pictures developed (200 speed FujiFilm) and noticed that for a lot of them, I should have, in retrospect, used backlight control (a feature on my 35mm automatic zoom camera) or a flash, even in bright daylight. I think it's because I was often under the palms looking out over the ocean, on which the sun was shining very brightly with some haze over th cliffs in the background. In many cases the things up close (palms, people's faces) were way too dark, with a bright background. So I recommend considering using backlight control or a flash during the day when the background is much brighter than where you're standing.

of course, sometimes it looks quite nice when the palms are a dark silhouette against a brighter background, but this is not for everything.

T

Tom

Re: What is the Best Film Speed?/Need for Backlight Control

Or, as I said: Over expose 12 stops if your camera is able

Tom