US Passports

Carolina066

Jun 1, 2002
I lived in the Dominican Republic for many years and am currently working in the USA for The US Department of State in Passport Services. I would like to be a resource for any and all ex-pats on passport questions. Please email me at Secretagent066@MSN.com

Carolina066

Jun 1, 2002
Jessica: an ex-pat is an "ex-patriot." That is the name given to someone who is living outside of their own country of origin. It is NOT a stupid question. The only stupid question is one that we have and don't ask. Are you in the Dominican Republic now? If so what are you doing there and how long have you been there. I am back in the USA but go to the DR frequently. Carolina

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
well on this board if you ask the wrong question or mispell a word
you are askin for it! No i am in us now i live in ny, we (hubby baby and me) plan to go in sept!

Carolina066

Jun 1, 2002
DomRep

Have you ever been there before? It is not just another country, it is more like a whole other WORLD. What will you be doing there and how long will you be staying? I was there last weekend, and I had 2 job offers. I just have to decide which one to take. I lived there from 1992 to 1997. I would love to share some of my experiences with you, good and bad.
You can email me directly at: Secretagent066@MSN.com

AmbiorixPaulino

Apr 24, 2002
www.geocities.com
I have a question. I' been in the U.S. for a long time but I'm still a Dominican citizen. My question is: Do both the U.S. and the D.R. recognize dual citizenship or will I have to give one up for the other one?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
While we are on the subject of spelling accuracy....

Carolina066 said:
Jessica: an ex-pat is an "ex-patriot." That is the name given to someone who is living outside of their own country of origin. It is NOT a stupid question. The only stupid question is one that we have and don't ask. Are you in the Dominican Republic now? If so what are you doing there and how long have you been there. I am back in the USA but go to the DR frequently. Carolina

Actually they are expatriates meaning they are living in a country other than their birth country. Ex-patriots has an implication they are no longer patriots and I doubt many Americans (especially) or Canadians in DR or other countries are such.

Carolina066

Jun 1, 2002
Of course you are absolutely correct. It is unusual for someone to get the chance to correct my spelling, and that is all it was, a spelling error. But I do thank you for setting the record straight!
Also, perhaps my "patriotism" has been dimmed somewhat by living in the Dominican Republic. A slogan of the American Garment Workers Union is "buy American, so that Americans have work." I say, "buy Dominican so those poor souls can get the measly $50 US or so, that they make in US factories, working 6 1/2 days a week." Thank God so much stuff is now made in the Dom. Rep.: Hanes, Levis, you name it. If they were paid union wages, who could afford the merchandise? And if all of the US companies in the Zona Franca pulled out, half the island would starve. I hope that whether or not you agree with my thoughts, that at least you found this little response to be gramatically correct, and spelling error free.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Questions about passport replacement, use, identificaiton, etc.

What's the fastest one can obtain a replacement passport, what is the procedure and requirements, and how does this change depending on where one is (in the USA, in a foreign country on a Sunday, etc.)?

What's the fastest one can get pages added to a passport, what is the procedure and requirements for this fast method?

Does having a copy of a lost or stolen passport help in getting a replacement faster and why?

If a passport is damaged and a replacement required, what can be done about getting the various visas it might contain put into the replacement?

Passports expire, but obviously the owner is still the same person. Why do they expire? Wouldn't just a photo update work?

How can one spot a fake from the real thing when customers present them as ID at a store or other business? Are there any special characteristics that are difficult to duplicate that a layman can use for spotting fakes?

If one enters Cuba and ends up with a stamp in their passport and later tears out that page, does the passport become invalid?

Why do they sometimes stamp my passport when entering the USA and other times not?

When one gets a new passport, the number of pages are very limited. Is there a way to get the original to come with extra pagers so that frequent international travellers are not so inconvienenced?

If one loses their passort and gets it replaced, and then later finds the original passport, can the original still be used or will it show up as reported lost when checked by immigration upon entry into the USA?

At what age should a child have their own passport?

Is there a limit to the number of times a passport can be replaced, either due to being stolen, lost, or mutilated?

Many foreign businesses require people to leave their passports with the business as a security deposit and police in foreign countries have been known to confiscate passports to prevent the person from leaving the country. What is the guideline for getting it replaced when there is a dispute and the business and/or police will not return the passport, or perhaps the person who has it cannot be found (it's Friday night, the business where the passport was left is closed until Monday morning but your
flight leaves on Sunday)?

Suppose one got a Cuba stamp in their passport and then tore the page out to avoid detection. Do missing pages affect the validity of the passport?

Other than looking like the photo, is there any way to make sure the passport belongs to the person showing it?

When you show your passport at immigration in the USA, does their computer show your travel history?

Carolina066

Jun 1, 2002
This is a lot to reply to! In the USA the fastest way to get a replacement passport is to call one of the regional passport agencies and make an appointment. It is possible to get a passport in one day in a PROVABLE life and death situation. In a lost/stolen passport situation, you would have to take the first appointment that you could get, which would be within 2 weeks of your flight and you would need the following documents: certified birth certificate or a naturalization (proof or citizenship),
2 2"x2" passport photos, photo ID (usually a driver's license), $95 in the form of a check, money order or credit card AND your airline ticket proving when you are traveling. The phone numbers fro the regional passport agencies can be found at the State Dept. website: www. state. gov then go in under travel. The passport offices are not open on Sat. and Sun. but the appointment system is open 24/7. Overseas, you would need to go to a US embassy or consulate to apply. The passport application would be sent back to the US for processing and should take a week to 10 days to be returned to you.

Nest question: Getting pages added: Same procedure as passport replacement. Cost is $35. Can be done in 1-3 days once you get an appointment. Also you can request a 48 page passport when you first apply and pages can later be added to the 48 pager if necessary. Opps I need to start a new reply.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
So if one loses their passport while traveling abroad and their flight home leaves tomorrow, they can plan on spending at least another week where they are, probably more.

And the rest of the questions? Did I make you sorry you volunteered to be this forum's US Passport resource?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Carolina,

The passports of my wife and myself expire in December, 2003. But we are wondering if it is advisable to renew early in order to get the new security features that are being incorporated in passports these days. Do you have any thoughts on this? We live in the Dominican Republic and would be renewing here.

Also, we are wondering how far in advance of the expiration date that a passport may be renewed.

Thanks for offering to share your knowledge and experience.

Ken

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It must show your travel history

I entered aat New York once,and after he passed my passport in the scanner,I was asked why I had entered the US 3 timed during the month of March,and it war May! Tom