Polution

marion harshman

Jan 2, 2002
Polution in Puerto Plata so high most Expats shop in other places.
Don't the people in the DR realize that 2 hours in Puerto Plata equal 5 packs of Cigarettes.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Marion,haven't you been here long enough to realize.....

......that people in the DR(I can only assume you are refering to Dominicans) don't "realize" anything!!!"Ignorance is Bliss",thats why Dominicans are so happy!They let their kids wander around the house with the electric wires hanging out of the wall, and don't realize that the kids could be electrocuted at any time.Today I saw a "Coke" bottle filled with gasoline where any kid could grab it and have a drink!Nobody gave a shit when I pointed it out!What is itwith these people that they can't walk on the sidewalk?They dare you to run them down,and it is real tempting!Polution?what POLUTION?You can't mean the open sewers,the piles of garbage,the Diesel Oil running down the streets?That is the "Environment" here,its the closest thing to Nature in the DR!TOM

harold

Mar 23, 2002
Many Dominicans have the mentality that one person can't make a difference. So when it comes to issues as to not throwing a bottle on the side of the highway to set an example, they feel it is lost cause. I heard Freddy Beras Goico talk about this subject on many occasions. He would say: lets all chip in and do our part; set the example for our children. Soon we will have a clean city for us, tourists and visitors. He would always preach this. Then not to long ago on his noon show, he said that he came to the realization that those of us who care-"nos vamos a morir."

So I ask: Can one person make a difference.

For example in the DR if I wanted a bill to be introduced to congress where can I go? Say bill to establish earth conservation ias part of the public schools curriculum.Would signed petitions be of value? Is it realistic?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm getting away from the subject but here in Guelph we have to separate our wet from our dry garbage and have it in the proper green or blue bags or clearly marked or it doesn't get picked up. But damn we have a clean little city. Boring at times but clean.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
can one person make a difference?

Harold....I say but of course....I think of it this way....I can only do what I (emphasis on last "I") can do...that might be more or less than what others can do....but , by definition, its my ONLY option ...sometimes what you do compells others to act....and I believe thats the definition of "doing something" that gets most people in trouble.....what I say to myself is: "don't worry about influencing others...If you believe in a cause,then thats all the reward you need to make it happen."

qisqeyana@aol.c

Apr 19, 2002
THERE MONEY IN TRASH

In California the separation of trast is done in three containers trast-waste,* green-grass and tree clippings, *plastics and metals this can goes into a factory to be separated. * That is a way to save the Earth and its resources!

Not only the garbage problem, but the air in the cities is rampant with fumes of gasoline, oil and diesel. Cleaning up the environment is a costly project, maybe Ontario has a good idea with the emissions testing on cars and trucks. Every car over 2 years old and not more than 20 requires an e-test every second year or no licence plate is issued.
It is time others took the same type of stand to save the environment.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For years and years

I have to agree that this is an issue that has to be faced up to, if we are to survive as a nation of healthy people.

Education has a lot to do with this. there is no class time dedicated to civic responsibility.

It will have to be done by some ONG with balls and tenacity.

I have mentioned that way back in the 50s I learned what a Litter Bug was. Then the states started to make laws, set fines and hand out summones for littering.

This has to be lobbied for here, by all of you and lots and lots more folks..

I have yet to come up with a good, sassy slogan that gets the message across.

Remember: " Don't be a Litter Bug" ? We need something like that for this place...

Any ideas? In Spanish!

HB

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
HB, in my last year of living in SD (1999) I tried working with some concerned businessmen and a local UN rep to put together a draft program on solid waste issues (one of my specialities, so I could point to programs used successfully in other Latin American nations) and we lobbied the national government steadily, but to no avail. We received a polite hearing, but nothing more. They assured that "we have a plan" but it never materialized. The environment just wasn't a big priority with the pols. [that was actually my concept -- get a pressure group that would force politicians to focus on the issue and do something. Business guys worried about waste issues should be unusual enough to get their attention -- or so I hoped] I fear that it is even less so with Hipo's Admin. I'm not sure what it will take for Dominican politicians to realize that as an island nation they are more vulnerable than many nations and that every year that they delay getting serious about environmental issues means they're just pissing away their future and that of their kids.
Well, enough of my soapbox. I still hope something can be organized and mobilized to help the country I love, but given Hipo's record it's hard to be optimistic.
Regards,
Keith

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
Hillbilly why reinvent the wheel...

.. wouldn't Earth Day be the perfect vehicle to bring about the changes you are proposing. This is an international day that is celebrated by many nations of the world and it is sanctioned by the UN .. what better opportunity can there be ....

NMS
melting in the heat

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Nomoresnow, I assumed you melted on the way to El Rancho since you haven't posted. Were you hiding or you didn't make it?

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Pollution - just an idea...

In Queretaro, Mexico most homes have a cute wrough iron basket welded to a pole on the sidewalk (like where a mailbox post would be).
This is where residents put their trash for pickup.
It's certainly much better than putting it in a can of oil or in a bag on the ground.

Where I live in the Sates we have what is called an underground unit. Each house has a hole in the ground by the curbside with a lid on it. Inside is an aluminum trash can with a handle that is picked up twice a week. We throw our trash in the unit & it does not stay in plain view all day.

I doubt that this will happen in my life time but it may be a good idea to start something like this in newly built neighborhoods, maybe start a trend.

Ccarabella

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
They have those baskets on poles too in Santo Domingo

but it doesn't work well when collection services are eradic. Garbages piles up, spills over. There is also the animal problem...
Regards,
Keith

Billy Bob Redma

Jul 18, 2002
Actually Kieth the animals are part of the solution,not part of the problem!

The animals,dogs mostly,a few goats,and of course the rats get rid of more garbage by eating it than the garbage collectors pick up in their trucks!We need more animals not less!They are the only true environmentalists in the country.It is interesting to see the Amas de la Casa sweeping in front of their houses every morning.They don't sweep anything up,just move it all down hill.When it rains they really excell.Sweeping everything into the raging torrent of garbage racing down stream.When you finnaly arrive down stream,it looks like the scene from Star Wars where everyone ends up in the trash tank.Only it is not Han Solo and Chuwbaca in the water,its the dominican kids playing happily among the jetsum. Billy Bob

S

Stephen

Puerto Plata has a "Garbage ReDistribution Program". They pick it up and pile it high on their open back trucks and then scatter it on all the streets on the way to the dump.

Charlene G. Pic

Jul 13, 2002
Trash along the highways

To bad that the DR doesn't have groups of men and women that meet like the Lions Club, Rotary, ect., that could clean up sections of the roads and post signs saying who they are and they're trying to clean up such a beautiful country side. (or do they):cry:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
DR does have such groups

The Rotary and Lions are both quite active in the DR (at least in SD; I assume in Santaigo as well). Not sure if they are participating in a "adopt a highway" program as they do in the U.S. and elsewhere (such as some parts of Brasil). Maybe this idea needs to be put to their attention.
Regards,
Keith

harold

Mar 23, 2002
so how can we bring it to their attention.

By the way, where do the garbagte collectors dispose the garbage in DR.
Does anyone inspect that they are doing it correctly?
Is it out of sight out of mind?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I've been to several ROTARY INT. Club meetings in Santo Domingo

Just rich guys trying to impress each other with "who can talk the longest contest every week! They don't do anything that doesn't have a "Silver Lining" for them!Don't look to them for any help soon.CRISCO