Rental Cars

arelys23

Jul 18, 2002
Hi,
I wanted to know if anyone can tell me where I can rent a car for a week. I don't want to spend to much money. I was checking out the prices and they are very expensive. More expensive than here in the US.
Thank You..........

P.S. I also heard gasoline can be a bit expensive, how much is it a gallon?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
See Travel Advice in DR1

arelys23 said:
Hi,
I wanted to know if anyone can tell me where I can rent a car for a week. I don't want to spend to much money. I was checking out the prices and they are very expensive. More expensive than here in the US.
Thank You..........

P.S. I also heard gasoline can be a bit expensive, how much is it a gallon?

There is a paragraph or 2 in the DR1 general area (click on travel in the home page of DR1, then the Transportation link on the left).

All the majors are at the airport and several smaller agencies n tourist towns, like Boca Chica though you may as well rent in the airport vs. take a taxi somewhere else first.

They cost what they cost and likely more than the US though maybe not NYC, certainly more than California or Fla.

Also check the www.bocachicabeach.net site which under the transportation section has this link:

http://www.caribbeancar.com/domrep.htm

The big question is: are you SURE you want or need to rent? If you have no experience in 3rd world driving ( or maybe Montreal) this will be an eye-opening experince for you.

Gas when I was there in July was around 40 pesos a gallon, which would be $2.28.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is there some reason why you must rent a car for the entire week? Cars and gasoline are expensive. If you are on a tight budget, you might be better off with a combination of public transportation (plentiful because the majority of the Dominicans don't have cars), taxis, and a day rental if there is a need.

If you indicate where you will be staying, people may be able to give you specific suggestions.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I find that the best way to rent a car is through National Car Rental. You make your reservation in advance through their 800 number. They send you a confrimation for you to present when you pick up the car. We always rent one for @ $185/week for a Chevy Swing and pick it up at the airport in Puerto Plata. If you pay by Visa or American Express the insurance is included so you just sign the waiver when you pick up the car. Once we had an accident there was no problem American Express took care of everything.