New Gas Station in Sos?a/Cabarete

Fulano

Jan 31, 2002
I was visiting some friends in Cabarete over the long weekend and discovered a new gas station named COASTAL located between Sos?a and Cabarete, near the entrance of Sea Horse Ranch. I've never heard of this company before, but one of the attendants said it is an American company. Has anybody heard of this company and are there more here on the island? It is very impressive, clean, bright, friendly attendants and has a huge parking lot. Plus, I definitely got much better mileage with their gas on the return trip (3/4 of a tank vs a full tank normally). I'm hoping there is one in my area (the capital). Does anyone have any info on this?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm not sure about Coastal? It might be Coastal Mart Inc., a subsidiary of the Coastal Corp. I think they just got brought by Sunoco. Also it could be Coastal Dominicana, which as far as I know only imports propane.

james

Jan 14, 2002
It is owned by an American Friend of mine who lives full time in the DR. This Coastal is an American company and the quarts of oils and misc items fluids are all imported from the US.
Took 3 years to get it all together and have the oks to have a large, clean lot and where you can buy any of the 3 types of fuel from the same pumps without having to go to a separate one for instance for diesel and they have 2 airpumps and water taps as well.
I beleive this is the first one in the DR but for sure there will be more soon.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Coastal is a public Corporation in the US and trades on the NY Stock Exchange. I don't know if it is the same but I will drive by and see if their signage is the same and maybe that will give you an answer but then again maybe not:)

They have headquarters in Newburgh NY I believe.

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
Yes it is an American guy who runs it. Most everyone here in Cabarete is buying their fuel there since you really do get more km per gallon. The local mechanics say it's because they have pure fuel; no water, diesel mixed with gas, etc. I think it is also an American company, but don't know for sure. I'll ask the next time I stop in.

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
From the horse's mouth...

I talked to the people in the office the other day when I ordered a truck of diesel to be delivered to the hotel and here is what they told me:

It is an American company based in Houston, Texas, USA. It is part of the El Paso Group, the third largest pertroleum consortium in the US. They received permission last year to open retail gas stations in this country through their concessionaire Coastal Dominicana, also the owners of Propagas. The are currently building three in Santo Domingo and have plans in the works for stations in Santiago and other areas. They are tightly controlled for quality and service standards through their license agreement with the company in Houston. The Sosua/Cabarete station, as with all subsequent stations, has installed a state of the art fiber optic fuel monitoring device that in real time monitors the fuel in the in-ground tanks for any contaminates, water, or other foreign substances along with ambient temp, volume, etc. This is reported by the computer via internet daily to Houston as part of the 24/7 quality control system that assures the customer of 100% pure fuel. The Sosua/Cabarete station is american owned. Their phone number is (809) 571-2422 and (809) 571-2421 (fax) and their e-mail is coastal@codetel.net.do .

Personally I love the fact that they always have change! Hope this helps, Kiteman.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Sounds like it may be worth the trip to fill up. I have an older car but I like to spoil it every now and then.