Codetel biggest rip off

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
While I was in the DR two weeks ago, I bought a $100 RD communicard from a vending machine in the Mulitcentro Churchill. I used the card once and spent about 40 pesos, then I took off to the campo for five days then off to the beach for another two. At the beach I used the card once then I went to use it a day later and a recorded message told me that my pin number was invalid, but I know I had 50 pesos left. I called their "customer service" and she told me that the number had been transfered to a cell phone the friday before (about 8 days earlier) that would have been while I was in the campo where there are no phones. I argued with her because she was being really hostile about the fact that I should just deal with the loss in money. I told her I didn't have a cell phone and that the day before I had just used the card, and that if Codetel was going to lie to me about stealing my money to at least do it well. She didn't give me my money back. I called the next day twice and spoke with the supervisor, he asked for the telephone number of where I was to call me back once he looked into it, nothing. I later learn that my domincian friends say that it happens all the time.

I would love to write a letter to Verizon and inform them of the incompetence of their subsidery Codetel customer service, but then again they probably get a cut of the scandle too.

Just beware, buy you calling cards in small demoninations and better yet don't buy Codetel, I saw that Centennial Mas gives you more for your money, and so far they aren't stealing from their customers.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
It may only be $2.50 to you, but 50 pesos is a lot of calling time in the DR, and when we needed the card in during an emergency it didn't work. The point being, it seems to happen often and to more unfortunate people.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Sadely, we get ripped off all the time down here, either by phone, power, water companies, or by gvt, or just by people... But, hey, folks usually get ripped off anywhere in the world, but in different ways...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, this is what i have heard. There are hackers who know the formula to generating codatel's calling card numbers. Its a mathamatical formula and if you give it a few or as many tries as it takes, you can come up with a working pin number for a communi calling card. Then you can use that number to program a cell phone and use it to your advantage. Now if are the unlucky one who has bought that hacked card. then this card would be already used up and you will get zero for your money.

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Sweet Revenge!!!
I bought a Florida Caribe Card...that says Codetel on it...and when you call they answer...Verizon...US$5.00...to call someone about a job in my field...
I called and it said I had 71 minutes worth of time...I talked to this guy for 34 minutes...and got disconnected...when I called back...I HAD THE ORIGINAL 71 MINUTES STILL!!!

So, we talked for another 40 minutes and got disconnected again...and for the second time when I called again...I STILL HAD THE ORIGINAL 71 MINUTES...can you believe my luck?

I was laughing so hard...and the guy couldn't believe it either...

Needless to say, I still have the card...I've used it 5 more times...and it still has 49 minutes of call time!!!

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Codetel

No problema, Codetel always worked for me.

I like the guy with the shotgun, makes me feel really safe in there. X

Rob & Pib: would that be an option for DR1?

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
X,
We used the Codetel office in Puerto Plata to make some business calls to the US. It was kind of humorous, that guy with the shot gun. He basically directed traffic for the phone booths.
Can somebody find a shotgun icon for the "moderators" (said with a Marvin the Martian accent. :)
mk