Duty Tax

blackshe

Oct 12, 2002
I went to the DR for the first time in August, 2002 to attend my daughter's wedding. I bought my daughter and her husband a VCR as a wedding gift and had it packed in my luggage. Being by myself and not knowing the language, I was one of the last ones to go thru customs. They search my luggage and found the flowers I had made for the wedding along with the VCR. The VCR was not expensive. I only paid $40 for it. They tried to get me to pay $87 for it and after a little arguing I was able to pay $54 to get it in the country. (They had me in there for an hour.) I guess I just didn't know that I would have to pay to bring a gift. My husband and I will be going again in November and he made me promise not to take anything for my daughter that would cause a delay. I have two questions, are there certain things you have to pay duty tax on? I was not able to find anything on the web. And is there a way to have the paperwork ready to pay for it when you enter the country so there's no delay?

(Note: my daughter said she just found out recently that December is the month you can bring things in without having to pay a tax. Is this true?)

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Generally, anything imported has a tax. Foreigners however are allowed to bring in items for their own personal use and not for resale without tax.

Traditionally, the government allows Dominicans that have been out of the country at least 6 months to bring in gifts with total value up to US$1000 during the period Dec. 1 - Jan 7.

From DR1 News, April 6, 2001:
The Listin Diario reports that Dominicans living abroad bringing
appliances and clothes into this country as gifts for family and
friends will no longer pay import taxes on them. Ana Ortiz, deputy
collections agent at the Las Americas International Airport, requested permission to implement the measure after receiving complaints from many passengers who said people in the Customs area were extorting them. These people were offering, for a price, to help the incoming passengers pay less when passing through customs.

Items that are now tax exempt are 20-inch televisions, up to 3 CD
players, beaters, toasters, washing machines, VHS players, electric ovens, fans, radios and clothing imports for non-commercial purposes.

Traditionally, the Customs Department had allowed these tax-exempt imports only for Mothers Day and during the Christmas holidays.

blackshe

Oct 12, 2002
O.K., I'm an American Citizen. This means, if I want to be legal, I have to pay tax. When I get to the airport, is there a certain area you go to pay the tax. And how do you know if they are charging you too much? Is there a certain percent they charge?

As for visiting in December. I'll have to wait until next year and plan my trip in December. To change our tickets now would be more expensive than paying the tax.

Thanks,

Blackshe

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Officially, you declare dutiable items on the Dominican Republic customs form. In practice, not everybody fills one out. You may or may not be stopped, asked about your visit and what you are have with you, asked specifically if you have any gifts or food, or even searched. If you owe, they will tell you.

Don't lie, but don't offer if they don't ask. Some travelers report that they either offer a small amount of money in hopes they'll get waived on through and some have been asked as well. Check the archives for stories using "customs" keyword search.

Customs area is in front of the exit in the baggage claim area.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Funny, most foreigners are just waved through..must be soemthing new after 9-11

HB:)

blackshe

Oct 12, 2002
Maybe they just knew that this was my first time going to a foreign country by myself and I did not have the slightest ideal what to do. Sucker! It just surprise me that they wanted to charge me over 200% of what I paid for it. Would it help to have the receipt with you?

blackshe

blackshe

Oct 12, 2002
Jim, thanks for the advise. I searched using Customs and read several postings. Question, when you get your luggage, do you just walk straight out the door or do you go up to one of the tables?

blackshe

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
walk towards the door unless someone waves you to a table. That is what I do. I never get bothered or even noticed. Matter of fact my bags haven't ever been searched except when leaving the DR at the AA counter.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
What no one mentioned is if they think you are Dominican you have a better chance of being searched,i assume by your posting name that you are afro american,if so that is probably why they searched you,thought you were Dominican

blackshe

Oct 12, 2002
Johnny, yes I am Afro American. Of course, I may have looked like a Dominican, but once they started asking me questions, they would have quickly found out that I am a American, I don't know Spanish :)

By the way, blackshe is a abbreviation of my last name.

blackshe