has anyone had the same problem???

travelgirl

Oct 30, 2002
Hey there, I used the yak communications long distance deal by dialing 10-15-945 just the other night, then this evening when I tried to call a friend it wouldn't work for me?? It would give a busy signal before I could even put in the last two numbers of the phone number?? Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?? And what you make of it??
Thanks

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
They can run out of bandwidth and then nothing

travelgirl said:
Hey there, I used the yak communications long distance deal by dialing 10-15-945 just the other night, then this evening when I tried to call a friend it wouldn't work for me?? It would give a busy signal before I could even put in the last two numbers of the phone number?? Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?? And what you make of it??
Thanks

On rare occasions you can find the same with calling cards, though the one I use rarely has the problem. Most cards/1010 services buy and resell surplus network time from the big phone companies or in limited cases use VOIP and essentially have a internet connection from A to B. At times they get full up and you get fast busy signals etc., since the main computer switches realize, as you get closer to the final switch to the phone you are calling, they have no more capacity.

Since there is so much exceessive capacity the master switches can sense that the overcapacity issue exists and can add more. Usually you call 10 -15 minutes later you are fine.

Intersting that YAK is experiencing this - since it was being touted as a better idea than calling cards though 3-5X the cost per minute. Buy $5 cards, use them all at once, call for 50-60 minutes for $5.00 and throw it out.

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
I rarely have any problems with YAK. I use it almost everyday and I would say once every 2 weeks or so, I might run into a dialing problem or bad connection. Once I hang up and dial again the call will go through. YAK is a little more/min than most calling cards but overall I find it the easiest to use.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
In all fairness (and this will never conclude)

Rosanie said:
I rarely have any problems with YAK. I use it almost everyday and I would say once every 2 weeks or so, I might run into a dialing problem or bad connection. Once I hang up and dial again the call will go through. YAK is a little more/min than most calling cards but overall I find it the easiest to use.

YAK is 4 or 5 times as expensive than most if not all calling cards especially if you buy a small card, like $5 or $10 and use it all at once. 29 cents plus taxes vs. 7 cents is a lot more even with 69 cents per call added. One call on Big Card is 104 minutes for $9.00 and with YAK that's $30.16 + GST.

YAK = good for an occasional 3 minute call. Cards =good for longer calls

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
true. I agree that for most people using YAk is more expensive than using calling cards but from my experience using calling cards to call a Cell phone in the DR always results in a bad connection and connection fees for each time I have to call back! For me that turned out to be expensive way to make my calls.

Point of the matter is there are options...pick which one suits you!

J

josephdlocascio

in America yak is to vomit

that is why I think they should rename the company