scuba or snorkeling?

jenpiel

Nov 24, 2002
I haven't seen much discussion on snorkeling or scuba diving around Puerto Plata or Sousa. Is this not a place to go do these activities? My travel agent said it was, but I can't seem to get a sense of other's experiences there. Any local people have an opinion? I'm considering doing my certification dives there in January.

Also, any hotels in Sousa or Puerto Plata that you'd recommend if we wanted to be close to a diving "center/area"?

Thank you for the 411... (info.)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Diving is big business in Sosua. I have never gone but it is probably just as popular there as men are attracted to women. There are at least a dozen shops.

Brad and Patty own North Coast Diving. Real nice folks that run a real professional business. They are located on the main Street in Sosua. It is also closer to the Puerto Plata Airport than Puerto Plata believe it or not. They do have a website you can visit although I don't know it offhand.

Personally I prefer Sosua to Puerto Plata although I go there every trip and at a minimum have dinner with friends there. While you are at it you should do a day trip to Cabarete. Only 15 minutes from Sosua. They are famous for windsurfing and Kiting. Rougher waters because it has more winds.

You can stay just about anywhere in Sosua and be walking distance to just about the whole town. It really depends what level of service you want. Rooms run from a low of 15 or less per night for a decent clean room with a ceiling fan to 100 dollars a night for lux.

I stay at Villa Chessa in Sosua which is just about out of town but very quiet and very nicely landscaped with a nice pool. I pay 35 a night including a goumet breakfast with all the bells and whistles for a 1 bedroom apartment with 2 full baths. Place is gated with a night watchman at night like most of the places in Sosua.

Hope I answered your questions but if you have more you can continue to ask.

I am leaving for Sosua on Tuesday morning and will be there for a week. I get back on the 4th of December and return again on the 25th of December for 2 weeks. I go about every other month and enjoy the town.

Regards
Scott

jenpiel

Nov 24, 2002
thanks so much! i am finally back in the super-excited mode for my trip. i am going to see about other places.

hotels in Sousa, there are a few posts out here. (this site has been so helpful!) I'm wondering if anyone would recommend a hotel that is close to the beach (doesn't have to be on it,) or close to the dive centers.

i am going to get out of the "all-inclusive" because I feel like we'd have more fun getting to know the towns if we did our own thing. some place with a nice pool, clean, quiet (but could still have some activities or not...)

i'm so excited to dive now! it took some time to find the right websites for it... but now I am on track. thanks!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As jazzcom indicated, North Coast Diving would be a good choice. They can certify you http://www.northerncoastdiving.com/ Their shop is easy to find, right on the main street of Sosua. There are other options, but North Coast Diving has been in business in Sosua for a long time and has a good reputation.

A small, friendly hotel (not AI) that you might want to consider is Hotel Tropix http://www.tropixhotel.com/

Last edited:

Dominique130

Jul 10, 2002
Scuba in SOsua

HI,

I did my PADI Open Water Diver Certification with Northern Coast last March and had a fantastic experience. Great staff, good equipment and lots of fun (plus I did learn some too). I would absolutely recommend them over some of the less professional (but perhaps cheaper) schools in Sosua, especially for you course.

jenpiel

Nov 24, 2002
Sounds like there are a lot of options for our upcoming diving trip! I found that the place we're staying has a dive center right in the lobby so we're going to try them. We can always go to another center if this doesn't seem like a good place after the first day...

There are many sites that sound interesting to dive. Does anyone know the names of any particular dive sites you'd recommend to me, as I think we will have the option of picking a few places to try out? (This is off the Sosua coast...)

Dominique130

Jul 10, 2002
Dive Sites in Sosua

As a beginner diver the maximum depth you can dive to is 18m (with PADI Open Water Diver) or 12m (I think) in a resort-dive certification (the 14 day diving certificate you can take in 1 day). Some of the sites I remember diving are 3 Rocks and the Canyon. The Canyon was especially cool, but perhaps not if you are too claustrophobic.

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
I scuba dived Sosua Bay and it was great! I dove "The Rock" and "Coral Garden" at Maimon. Each dive was with the scuba people at Riu Bachata (AI west of Puerto Plata). I was scheduled to do the Gri Gri Lagoon at Rio San Juan with Northern Coast, but I took sick that day and couldn't make it. I understand that the Gri Gri Lagoon is considered one of the best dives on DR.
Paradise Island is fantastic for snorkelling!!! I'm not sure if there's anyone doing a scuba trip out that way... if there is, it would be a great dive!
Wish I was going!

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Jenpiel
Good luck but be careful
If you are not experienced divers and the company in your hotel is not Northern Coast be sure to ask about their safety procedures as there have been several incedents wqith untrained personel at someof these so called dive shops,check with other divers about them dont learn the hard way,also check your equipment to make sure it is good shap? and not worn ou so used that it qualifys for retirement
J.H.:confused:

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Sorry - missed your original post-hope my endorsement of NorthCoast isn;t too late. Ic ertified there last January, and since it was sooo queit that month the dive instructor was all mine! They are the best in the area....great staff, knowledgeable, professional and SAFE!!!!

Enjoy your trip and go home certified!