A crucial decision

mikramjafri

Nov 25, 2002
To start with i am writing this for everyone to add in, anything would be very appreciated. I am an american permenant resident and i am coming for medicine to the DR. A country i dont know anything about but thanks to this forum i have learnt alot about it.
Well i went to high school in the US and tried getting admissions in pakistan (my family is from there) well didnt get in they wanted specific subjects in high school (pre-med) so well some how i managed to find this agency which told me about your island.
I managed to get admission in UTESA through the agency and the agency has promised me admission in UNIBE. They delayed it because i dont want to send any orignals to the university and will show them my documents when i get there. Well i am only 18 years of age but i am looking for an adventure.
I dont know any spanish. I speak English , Indian and Pakistani only. I have although learnt a little spanish and since i am taking admission in pre med will cover spanish thoughly.
I would like to work in the US but getting a good residency is it only passing the USMLE or actually getting a very high grade on it.
I would also like to know what i should study before coming prerequiste courses.
I would like to know ( i dont want to take loans) if i could get a job on weekend (anything skilled or unskilled) i am alittle bit of both. My parents will supply the tution but i would have to after the 1st few years pay my pocket money and living expenses.
Also if suppose i dont get through to the US i would want to live in the DR ,work there as a doctor is that hard.
Being a resident of 2 countries i wouldnt mind getting my third is it hard getting a perm. residency card there and how do i get it i mean i read the post in the law place but i am looking for something which i have to do to get like buy property, bring money in the country(invest),marry (what exactly)
Also i hate to say this but i am very nervous about coming there i dont know if its a good decision. Please guide me which school is better UTESA or UNIBE. Secondly am i going to be looked down upon as a person who couldnt get into medical school in his own country(pakistan) when i apply for Residency in the US.
My parents are willing to send me anywhere (safe) in the world for medicine and spending quite some $ on me so do u think in your option its a good decision because i have been hearing all sorts of options mostly bad about frauds and looked down upon stuff from people about the DR please tell me truely i would be ever so greatful( i know its my decision)if you all give me your truest ,sincerest advice.
well these are the questions i have for now and i know you all are very friendly and helpful and you would help me out with this.
i will post further questions later.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
UTESA or UNIBE?

I suggest you read a post where I replied to similar concerns like yours to someone who posted under the name Shandu in the "living" forum. In addition I can easily tell you that UNIBE is a much better university and the quality of the students is the rich VS the poor. You would not be alone in terms of people from your region of the world .UNIBE is an international campus with many Middle Eastern, Pakistani and Indian students. The tuition is much higher than UTESA. The campus has its own parking area, but it is limited since the area there across the Police Department is very crowded. Middle Eastern students assimilate well to DR and usually organize in support groups. They all know each other and socialize together.

I will wait for others to reply for different opinions. If they dont I will give you more input.

TW

mikramjafri

Nov 25, 2002
common need some help pitch in ur opinions

same thing i was expecting loads of people to post their opinions this is really a disappointing one.

mikramjafri

Nov 25, 2002
oh i am almost forgot,
thanks alot golo that give me the input, the shandu post and this one.Its nice to hear its diverse in the campus.Also before reading all about unibe here and at studentdoctor forums i am convinced UNIBE is a very good school with high reputation and will give me the oppurtunity to complete a good education.But if possible some more details would be highly appreciated and offcourse if you answer my above questions that would be the best.I emailed the school 2-3 times with no reply. Atleast UTESA replied with a single line lol.I am waiting for ECH MD to post here so i can ask a few things from him/her
thanks everyone in advance
mikram

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think ECH MD has participated in the board for quite some time.

mikramjafri

Nov 25, 2002
do u guys know when she/he will be online i am very interested in talking to someone from UNIBE and/or UTESA