Off airport car rental- Santo Domingo

goneglobal

Dec 6, 2002
Looking for information about off-airport rentals..to save on the airport taxes..... We rent off-airport on occasion, mainly to save $, and it appears I'll need to use every trick in the book on this one..... DR rentals are very expensive...

Looking at National and Thirfty now but open to suggestions for our 11 day rental in early February...

Anyone know if there is a big difference in inventory comparing airport vs. off airport? Of all the majors, who has the closest off-airport location/best inventory, etc.....If they will pick you up gratis..ie.courtesy phones at the airport, etc.

In playing around this morning, I've saved about $USD 95 but this is the first of perhaps many visits.... so local knowledge...on the ground intelligence....would be very much appreciated!

Finally, we arrive in early Feb at 5pm...sun be up and beer be cold when we land...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Alamo and National are the same people. I usually get lower fares on Alamo but for Samana Santa for some reason I got lower on National. Go figger. I never do anything but rent at the airport. I dont want the hassle of lugging the baggage and losing my precious time on the beach.

I got the best rate for Christmas from Eurocar which I never used before since Alamo was sold out when I got around to getting it done.

I also fly into the North Coast so things may be different in the Capitol. I use my Amex Card to rent and don't take the insurance because Amex provides the insurance for me. I PAY cash if I don't have an accident and usually get a better price on buying pesos on the street and getting a better exchange from the car company.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
goneglobal said:
Looking for information about off-airport rentals..to save on the airport taxes..... We rent off-airport on occasion, mainly to save $, and it appears I'll need to use every trick in the book on this one..... DR rentals are very expensive...

Anyone know if there is a big difference in inventory comparing airport vs. off airport? Of all the majors, who has the closest off-airport location/best inventory, etc.....If they will pick you up gratis..ie.courtesy phones at the airport, etc.

This is the Santo Domingo Airport you are talking about. Off airport, courtesy phones, pick up ? Who?

I am not sure there are much additional taxes at the airport solely as a result of being there but in all the trips in and out of SDQ I haven't seen any other rental car companies at all. There is one pokey little private one in Boca Chica I think. Of corse you'd have to get there unless you happened to be going there.

goneglobal

Dec 6, 2002
Hey jazzman..thanks for the info....ever had an accident witha DR rental ? and did Amex cover you?

I normally do the same..decline and pray.

I have a Gold VISA but I know I'm not covered for 'overseas' car rentals.....and I've been led to believe that you have to pay for CDW......it's not mandatory?

Will an 'economy car ' really limit where we can go?

Again, thanks for helping me deflect all the spin...

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I talked to a car rental company in Zona Colonial today. They pick you up at the airport. I don't know if its proper to give you their info here but if you email me I'll give you the info they gave me. They are in Santo Domingo if this is where your heading.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have never had an accident. American Express covers you in the DR, I checked and they only dont cover you in countries known for terrorism. Call your credit card company to make sure.

I never pay for insurance but they do make me sign another credit card receipt for the Accident thingy which of course I have never used. Make sure you check the car for every scratch and make them mark it down.

Economy car does NOT limit where you can go. You may just get there a little slower:)

I just drive like I would in NYC and feel right at home in the DR! LOL

If the car they bring you isn't nice tell them to get you another one. Some times I make em bring 3 or 4. I tell them that I don't drive cars with Dents because I am not a turkey nor do I want to look like one. Gets a laugh and a nicer car. I am actaully bringing down a present for the Guy at National for his treating me right last time down.

Any other questions let me know.

goneglobal

Dec 6, 2002
Green or Gold? LDW manditory??

Does the color of the card matter when declining...in some countries/with some companies...they only let you decline with Gold or higher....Platinum....imagine that.....what next???

TIP>>>>When looking for a car anywhere in the world, go to an on-line real time agent like www.1travel.com...and see what's on offer....?ou get quotes* from all the majors in one 'hit' (*base rental price only, not included are taxes,fees, insurance, etc)

Then, using that info, go directly to the site of the major and book.
Never use 1travel to book..mainly because they want payment up front (unlike many of the majors) so you are locked in....Even if the majors want your CC when booking, they make it easy for you to cancel before renting with no hassles. Make sure you know the cancellation policy if you have to give your card no. in advance and try to stick with the majors......

When using 1travel for DR, I was mildly surprised at the rates they were showing.....after going to the 'sources' virtually all of them listed the 'required' extras....and included LDW as 'mandatory' in the quote....with all other taxes almost doubling the base rental price shown on 1travel....So it can be declined???

As far as 'picking' your car from those lot is concerned....National allows customers to do that in the US as well.....I always try to rent the ones with lots of scratches and door dings.....get them to circle every single one (sometimes, out of frustration, they circle the WHOLE car at the gate!) and drive away knowing that one or two more won't matter!!

Once I had a minor accident in St. Martin in a rental with declined insurance...my fault for sure....think I give the guy $USD50 and he drove away with a much bigger smile than mine... big puddles of muddy waters does a great job fixing those minor dents...just make sure you get that 'receipt for that Accident thingy' back, chew it up and swallow it before you jump on the plane!

Ditto about seeing the country a bit slower in ECONOMY..if one were to read all the posts on this board about renting...then a 4x4 with all the coverage money can buy is the only way to go...personally I'd rather spend the $ by going renting ECONOMY class and declining insurance for a few weeks as a 75% deposit on a RTW airfare!

BTW, I don't own a car.....haven't for years and I hope I never have to own one again.....bad for the planet....and I'm always gone anyway...global of course!!

jazzcom.....thanks for keeping this alive....love to hide here on this limb and scratch each others armpits!