Driving a car in DR

Maps

Jan 6, 2003
I would like to have some information about renting a car and driving through DR. Lonely Planet says it's dangerous and you shouldn't do it. Especially, they say, because you can and up in jail for a long time if you're in an accident as a foreigner, waiting for your case. And because you're a foreigner, they will always found you guilty. Is all this true? Did this ever happen as far as anybody knows? Or are these just stories? Thanks.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
yes as a foreigner you are always guilty.there are enough anecdotal cases to prove that
but I believe you only go to jail if there is a death involved.

But be carefull expect the unexpected always.If you think nobody will be this stupid the driver in front of you will do excactly that.

By all means rent a car and explore the island
It will be unforgetable

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
My recommendation is to never drive at night (high accident risk from drunks, road hazzards, loose animals etc...), and dont drive in the larger cities unless you are used to very aggressive driving and chaos.

see the archives for more info

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you rent, be certain to do some from a reputable company so that you have insurance and support in case of a problem.

There is a lot in the archives on driving in the DR. It is not like the US, Canada or Europe. You need to be alert at all times, even during the day when you will see speeding, drunk drivers, and drivers that treat a two-lane highway as though it had 3 lanes.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
I only started driving in the DR a year ago and within a few days I had already hit a motoconcho on the road to Bani and ran over a pasola in Santo Domingo. In both cases I was lucky to be with my cousin who's a lawyer and has a hell of a lot more experience dealing with those types of situations. I was able to walk away from one and paying up for the other...even though it was clearly the morons fault.

My advice: If you do decide to rent a vehicle go for a jeep...gives you a little more security. Also be aware of the road at all times and as drivers are VERY unpredictable. If you do get into an accident try to solve it quickly before the police get involved...as long as it's not serious. If you're going to be in Santo Domingo use taxis instead. Traffic was unbelievable when I was last there in Sept and I hear it's only gotten worst. Best of Luck.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
There are 2 types of people who sit behind the wheel of a car. "Drivers" and "Operators"!!!
If you are a "Driver" like me then you look forward to driving in the DR with excitment. The Slashing and cutting is invigorating!
If you are a "operator" Like Ken, I suggest you take a crowded, stinky bus!

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The key do driving in the DR is to always pay attention to the driving. Expect other drivers to drive on the wrong side of the road. Do not play chicken with these nuts. If you are a passive, easily startled driver, then you might be in trouble.

I have driven in lots of big US cities...NYC,CHI,LA,MIA,SF,etc.... Boston is the worst for erratic drivers....but it is no match for the DR.

Do not be lulled into a sense of security when driving in "out of the wat places". These are actually worse since the road conditions and lighting are sub-standard.

rita

Jan 7, 2003
hey you

hey maps,
you sound like a sexy lady, who likes to have fun ;P well I say go for the DR, with a name like maps...I'm sure you won't get lost, and you'll probably have the best time of your life ;P
ciao,
rita

Maps

Jan 6, 2003
Hey Rita

Hey Rita,
to be quite honest I get lost wherever I go, that's why I need tuns of maps all the time and that's how I got my name. But... I can't read them and drive the DR at the same time, I wouldn't come out alive I think. So are you interested in joining me?
Maps

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Having seen many countries by bus & train and then by car, I can only recommend that the personal experience is much superior when you rent a car. Take the advice volunteered above -- always be on the alert (yes, the country is full of one-way streets with people driving the wrong way!). You need to be on the defensive always.

Also, ask, ask and ask. Even if you have a good map, ask and ask. I have yet to have a DR map that has all the right towns on it. Every time you get to a place, ask to make sure you are in the right place. People are friendly. If you are lost, you can always hire a motoconcho/taxi to drive in front of you and put you on the right track.

Do not rent a car to drive in Santo Domingo, though. Too complicated with all the one way streets.

And yes, rent from a reputable company like DR1 sponsor, National (http://www.dr1.com/national) and purchase all the insurance they have available, and you will be fine.

By the way, in all my travels I have taken this same advice and purchased all the insurance available.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
You might consider investing in a GPS unit (as low as $150) before going down. Even using it Stateside would not be wasted.

I've never used one myself, but a friend demonstrated that his shows a significant number of roads even in the DR.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I have an etrex Vista GPS handheld unit and i love it.... Maps are a little sparsely populated but there is a way to D/L more detailed ones...

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
By the way, Maps, just because I suggested a GPS doesn't mean that I endorse what you're planning, especially as a newcomer.

Thare are buses to everywhere - big ones for the long haul and little ones for the short. Arriving in the center of small towns, spending the night in hotels there, meeting people, doing local exploring, etc. would seem to be more meaningful to me anyway.

Also, you could hire a car and driver for almost the same amount as simply renting the car itself. He would know the way, or at least be able to ask, fix flats and other problems, and generally help you. Also, as others have attested, the rules would be different with him at the wheel instead of you.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hi Maps,

Where else have you driven? Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that Boston is the worst - I agree. Rome is worse than Boston. LA scares me silly. But it is quite possible to drive in the DR. You need to be very careful with nerves of steel, quick reflexes, a set of good brakes and the ability to stay out of trouble. You need to be aware of what is happening all around you. To stay out of trouble, I think you need to be a non-agressive driver. Not non-assertive, but simply non-agressive. Let others go where they want to go - the the right of you, to the left of you, passing in the face of oncoming traffic, pulling out in front of you, stopping dead to have a conversation or a beer, and so on and so on.

Read your map before you set out and know where you want to go. Don't ever think the other fellow is going to do what you think he is going to do - and take all the insurance you can get if you rent a car. Inspect your rental car very well. Twice now we've had small defects (one time a rear light fell out - obviously previously 'stuck' back in) and the rental company wanted us to pay for essentially their maintenance.

The car and driver is a good idea and I did that the first time we visited here. After a day however, I was quite able to drive myself.

Maps

Jan 6, 2003
Well, thanks everybody for all the advise, it was very helpful. I think Rita and me will go for it and just be very careful. I think we're going to have the time of our lives!
Maps

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Tony C said:
There are 2 types of people who sit behind the wheel of a car. "Drivers" and "Operators"!!!
If you are a "Driver" like me then you look forward to driving in the DR with excitment. The Slashing and cutting is invigorating!
If you are a "operator" Like Ken, I suggest you take a crowded, stinky bus!
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... Too funny. I am in Boca Chica now but was in Sosua this morning. Been to Las Terenas, Samana, Puerto Plata numerous times and to Santo Domingo this trip so far and no problems. Just drive like a NYC Cabdriver and with that crazy far away look in your eyes and they WILL get outa da way!

As another poster once said, "if they cant take a fluck, Joke em!"

Escott

rita

Jan 7, 2003
wooooooooooohooooooooo

thanks everyone for all the great info. on the driving in DR !!!
I'm going to hook up with Maps, and enjoy every minute ;)
ciao,
rita.