Driving

vpmiami

Jan 19, 2003
If I am driving a decent car brought in from th USA, would someone try to cause a small accident to collect money?

I hard to be areful about being a target, since I am from the USA.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
vpmiami said:
If I am driving a decent car brought in from th USA, would someone try to cause a small accident to collect money?

I hard to be areful about being a target, since I am from the USA.

Where did you hear that? My wife and I are from the US and have lived in the DR for 16 years. We do not now nor never have felt unwelcome because we were Americans. Quite the contrary. Most Dominicans think highly of Americans because we have a reputation for spending money, unlike visitors from some of the European nations that will go unmentioned by me. Also, a great percentage of Dominican families have at least one relative living in the US.

If you are planning to bring a car here, that will be your problem. It is highly recommended that nobody without the best political connections try to import a car. But the fact the car was made in the US or the driver is from the US will make no difference.

When driving on the highway in the DR, everybody is a target. That is how they drive here.

vpmiami

Jan 19, 2003
I appreciate the words of comfort... Thank you....

I have decided not import my car to DR.. I am recieved a lot of feed back not to do it...

I need a decent car.. any suggest of places I can purchase a used car..

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
The Listin Diario newspaper has the most classified ads. If you check the archives, you will find some information and warnings about buying a car including title problems and mechanical problems. Find a lawyer to help you with the paperwork-there really isn't that much, but it is important. If you aren't a mechanic, well, good luck! "Used" car usually means "abused" car here.

vpmiami

Jan 19, 2003
I guess I am not winning either way... I hope I find a good car.. Thank goodness.. I have a lot family there.. and are good mechanics...