CETEC Medical School?

smpants

Jan 20, 2003
I am trying to verify which years CETEC Medical School operated. I thought it was opened in January 1980 and shut down by the government in 1984. However I read in this article

http://www.dr1.com/news/1998/dnews021698.shtml

<<In the 70s, the Dominican government closed down the Universidad Mundial and CETEC, medical schools that also catered primarily to foreigners. >>

Was CETEC open earlier and then shut down in 1970s and then opened again in 1980 and shut down again in 1984? If so, was it shut down for the same reason(s) each time?

I understand that there are people who attended CETEC and earned their MDs there who did so legitimately (ie, actually physically attended classes in Dominican Republic for equivalent of 4 academic years) and these people are certified. Does anyone know if there is a way to verify if someone actually lived in DR/attended CETEC during a certain period of time?

I am trying to verify someone's credentials. This person said she got her MD from CETEC in 1983. However she has also listed 2 other non-existent medical schools on other documents. So I am suspicious about her having earned a legitimate degree from CETEC.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Be very, very cautious.

Those were degree mills.

The only way to be absolutely sure of this person's degree is to have it certified by CONES, here in the Dominican Republic- That is the Comisi?n Nacional de Educaci?n Superior, and they are in Santo Domingo..

HB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Contact details for Cones (absorbed later by this ministry) are:

Secretar?a de Estado de Educaci?n Superior, Ciencia y Tecnolog?a

Ave. Enrique Jim?nez Moya esq. Juan de Dios Ventura Sim?, 5to. Piso, Centro de los H?roes

Santo Domingo, Rep?blica Dominicana. Tel: (809) 533-3381 | Fax: (809) 535-4694

info@seescyt.gov.do | www.seescyt.gov.do

I would advise you to call them and try to establish a contact with a person to email later for more information, as it is more than likely that they will not be responding promptly to this contact email.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
smpants said:
I am trying to verify someone's credentials. This person said she got her MD from CETEC in 1983. However she has also listed 2 other non-existent medical schools on other documents. So I am suspicious about her having earned a legitimate degree from CETEC.

I don't know why you are trying to verify someone's credentials, but I would think the fact 2 non-existent medical schools were listed on documents from this person should be sufficient reason to rule this person out of consideration.

smpants

Jan 20, 2003
Thank you for your helpful replies Hillbilly and Dolores. I will call CONES and see if they can help me to verify.

It seems to vary from state to state in the US on whether they recognize any degrees from CETEC. Are some CETEC MDs recognized as legitimate in Dominican Republic?

Ken,I am trying to verify this person's credentials because unfortunately I already brought my young son to see her. She acted in a bizarre fashion at the appointment (did not examine my son - barely glanced at him in fact, and refused to look at his MRI films or review his medical records). Then she wrote a letter to my son's pediatrician that fabricated an exam (the data was all wrong of course, so it is easy to show she fabricated the exam) and claiming that she could not go by anything I told her about my son because there were no medical records available for review! I had brought all his medical records and MRI films to the appontment and she refused to look at them. She is licensed to practice medicine in our state and is with a supposedly reputable clinic group - which is why I didn't think to look at her training.

But after the appt and the wierd letter, I got suspicious that something was wrong with this person and decided to check into her training. Of course I became more suspicious when I found 3 different medical schools listed in 3 different places and that she is the only person in her clinic who is not board certified (she merely lists a bunch of disciplines for which she is board eligible).

I want to file a complaint on her with the medical board and with the clinic president and administrator. But I know realistically, more will be done if I show that it is not just my opinon that this person is incompetent - but that she has not had good training. She claims to "specialize" in autism and epilepsy and sees many young children. When I started asking around to see who else saw this person, i found that most people had had a similar experience to ours. I want to prevent this from happening to other families if possible.

Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All the best to you in your very important "due diligence"
Sounds like that clinic didn't due their due diligence in researching her C.V.
That was a very bad time for the reputation of the medical programs in the DR. Since it was wide open, a lot of fly-by-nighters opened shop.
On the other hand, Dr. Jose Greer, a grad from PUCMM in Santiago, just won a Hispanic Person of the Year Award....He is a leading medical personality in Miami...

HB

I realized that I should have said: Pucmm, Intec, Uasd, Unphu are the most famous and recognized med programs in the DR. Some schools, like UNIBE ad Utesa have programs in English, and in my opinion, are to be suspect since they make money on these programs, and the graduates are "exported". I have heard that UNIBE is getting better...

Last edited:

smpants

Jan 20, 2003
Hillbilly said:
All the best to you in your very important "due diligence"
Sounds like that clinic didn't due their due diligence in researching her C.V.
That was a very bad time for the reputation of the medical programs in the DR. Since it was wide open, a lot of fly-by-nighters opened shop.
On the other hand, Dr. Jose Greer, a grad from PUCMM in Santiago, just won a Hispanic Person of the Year Award....He is a leading medical personality in Miami...

HB

Thanks Hillbilly. There have been and are plenty of fake schools in the US and Europe. I suppose in smaller countries where there are fewer schools in general, a diploma mill is more noticed. But, it seems that even for places like CETEC, it was mostly Americans and Europeans buying their degrees and it was the government of DR that shut it down.

laplaskay

Jul 19, 2005
Cetec

Hi,
I started studying in CETEC myself but when it was closed down during the summer of 1984 (I will never forget this)
I registered at the State University, Univ autonoma de Sto Dgo and practically had to start all over.
Things that might help verify if someone actually spent time at CETEC:
-There was a swimming pool at the university, in the english section ( there were two sections).In order to get to CETEC you had to drive pass the Botanic garden, take a right and drive down a small hill. The medical school was very close to two another universities, one was UNIBE and the other one was INTEC.
CETEC was located in a wealthy neighborhood called Arroyo Hondo". The other two were in " Los jardines del Norte". There was a shuttle that would pick up the medical students by making several stops on a very frequented avenue called " JFK Avenue". That avenue was located in the NACO area, where you could find the Olympic stadium as well as the " Military Hospital".I believe that the shuttle runned on an hourly basis. Whoever studied at CETEC knew about NACO because it was an area very popular among med students, most foreigners lived there, it was a safe neighborhood and well to do dominicans lived there as well. I hope this is helpful.

Laplaskay

smpants said:
I am trying to verify which years CETEC Medical School operated. I thought it was opened in January 1980 and shut down by the government in 1984. However I read in this article

http://www.dr1.com/news/1998/dnews021698.shtml

<<In the 70s, the Dominican government closed down the Universidad Mundial and CETEC, medical schools that also catered primarily to foreigners. >>

Was CETEC open earlier and then shut down in 1970s and then opened again in 1980 and shut down again in 1984? If so, was it shut down for the same reason(s) each time?

I understand that there are people who attended CETEC and earned their MDs there who did so legitimately (ie, actually physically attended classes in Dominican Republic for equivalent of 4 academic years) and these people are certified. Does anyone know if there is a way to verify if someone actually lived in DR/attended CETEC during a certain period of time?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!