divorce decree

annyg

Jan 21, 2003
My brother married in the DR in 1992 and a couple of years later he separated from his wife and lost contact with her. He just saw her again on sunday and she told him that she filed for divorce in La Vega. But refused to give him more information how can he obtain a copy of the divorce decree. We do not have any family in the dominican republic who can get this for him will an attorney do it for a fee? and if so can you recomend one.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Searching for a particular divorce can be very time consuming unless one knows the precise date of the divorce and the precise location of the civil registry ("Oficialia de Estado Civil") in which the divorce was recorded. Assuming your brother separated from his wife in 1994 or later, the recommended course of action would be to search the records in every civil registry office in La Vega from 1994 on.

annyg

Jan 21, 2003
Dear Fabio,
Thanks for replying to my post. The question that you did not answer was if an attorney can do it for him because we do not have any family or relatives in the DR. Please advise my brother wants to remarry and he wants to be sure that everything is ok before doing so.

Thanks,
Anny

annyg

Jan 21, 2003
Ok can you send me your direct e-mail and I will e-mail you my brother's information and please advise how much it will cost and how can I forward payment to you. Once again thanks for your prompt reply.

Anny Gil

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The website for Fabio Guzman is www.drlawyer.com His email address is info@drlawyer.com He is an excellent and honest attorney. His clients include many expatriates and foreign investors. There are many who take your money and do nothing, but no fear of this with Fabio Guzman.

Last edited:

vpmiami

Jan 19, 2003
Hello Ken,

I see you have worked or known Mr. Guzman for 15 years.. Would you consider his rates to be compariable to other Lawyers and Law firms?

I am glad to hear your positive thoughts about Mr. Guzman...I am truly considering in visiting him this week.. However, he seems to be pretty busy.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Many people that frequent this board use Fabio Guzman.
Trust me, you cannot put a price on a good DR lawyer.
When you have been here a while your understand what I'm talking about...

annyg

Jan 21, 2003
Robert,
I did not understand your reply. I understand that Mr. Guzman is a very good lawyer but that does not take away that I need a service and he needs to get paid for rendering his services. I think I asked a legitimate question.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
annyg - I meant a good lawyer is invaluable.

Some people have had bad experiences with lawyers in the DR.
They take a cheap route and end up paying 10x over in the long run...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert is right. There are many lawyers who will charge less than Fabio Guzman. But if you want to be sure of getting full value, then Fabio is an excellent choice.

He is busy, but he has a firm with a number of lawyers. It is not a one-lawyer operation.

It is not my place or that of anyone else on the board to tell you what he will charge.

We had a good example on the board recently of what can and does happen all to often. A poster hired a lawyer to determine that the car she was buying had a clear title. She got a favorable report and bought the car. Then it turned out that the car she bought had been stolen and actually belonged to someone else. When she posted she was looking for a lawyer to help her get her money back. Not surprisingly, she was looking for someone other than the attorney who she had paid to get her into that situation.

When people on this board ask for a lawyer, we refer them to someone we know we can trust. After all, our reputations are on the line every time we make a recommendation.