Rafael, Radhames and Ramfis

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Rafael is an unusually common name in the DR, I am told that in Trujillo's time it was common for people to name their sons Rafael in homage to Trujillo. Why is it then that there are so many Rafaels born post-1961? Even if it is traditional to name sons after their fathers or grandfathers should there not have been some rejection of the name?

Why also is it that Radhames is also a fairly common name here, while Ramfis isn't? Wasn't Ramfis the more 'glamorous' (as well as more villainous) of Trujillo's sons? These pharaonic names, inspired by the opera Aida, are not to be found anywhere else, as far as I know.

I have asked Dominican friends about this but have never had a convincing answer, so your opinions would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Chiri

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
You are confusing cause and effect. Rafael L. Trujillo and Radhames Trujillo got those names because they are common, they didn't make them popular, those names have always been popular. By the same token Ramfis got an unusual kind of ugly name, why would anyone want to name their children Ramfis in the first place?

BTW, my dad is one of those pre-1961 Rafaels. Come to think of it there are 3 ppl at home with a similar name, including yours truly.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Rafael yes, it is a common name in many countries, but here it is more common than anywhere else I am familiar with. Radhames I have never come across anywhere except here.

I agree they are nice names, but wonder why there was not some rejection of them considering the history: in Europe you do not find too many Adolfs!

Come to think of it, there are people here called Hitler and Stalin!

Chiri

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Chirimoya

I think Pib gave you a good answer..what more are you looking for?
In reguards to your "Adolf" point....the DR is one country...Europe is comprised of many countries..Germany being only one of them.Why would you expect to encounter a German name like Adolf in any other European country?
Maybe I misread your post but I dont think you are making a good comparison.
Larry

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Larry

Oh yes, I agree that the comparison is not really such a fair one, but Adolf is not exclusively a German name any more than Rafael is exclusively a Dominican name. I typed Europe but in fact I could have said anywhere in the world. Actually I wasn't trying to imply that people who give their children these names are displaying Trujillista sympathies. A friend of mine who is not anything of the sort was named Rafael by his parents - according to him as a homage to Trujillo. Now he has passed on the name to his son. If anything I would say that shows a liberation from dictatorial hang-ups that he is able to disassociate himself from the name's more negative connotations. I asked the question mainly because the name Radhames has always intrigued me as it is pretty unique, and if Radhames then why not Ramfis as well? Pib answered that question. Any other thoughts?

Chiri

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Actually, I have also been surprised by the use of certain names in the DR...

I remember seeing a lawyer whose name was Benito Mussolini _________ (I don't remember the exact last name).

And I was a bit horrified to see in the yellow pages "Escuela de Choferes Hitler". But I bet they turn out some pretty serious drivers, huh...

Not to veer off track, but to show that ignorance is everywhere, there's a bully at my son's school whose name is Kain. Kain! Obviously his parents have forgotten their Sunday School lessons...

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
I've known Dominicans by the name of Vladimir and Stalin.
And how about baptizing your baby girl Monica after all the bad publicity of the name not long ago.

I guess Pib would not mind if once in a while we call her Fela or Fella. Those are nicknames for Rafaelas.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not just Dominicans!

Lenin, Stalin, Vladimir, are common names in many parts of Latin America, and for all I know in other parts of the world. Sometimes because the parents genuinely wanted to honour these individuals but in some cases they had just heard the names and did not know the negative connotations.

The lawyer called Mussolini is the brother of the man who owns the house next door to us, he has an inoffensive name but there is another brother called Hitler, also a lawyer. In their case I suspect their parents knew what they were doing.

I think a lot depends on the name. Perhaps there is no inhibition in Spain about naming your child Francisco or Francisca (as in Franco) because they are such common and traditional names anyway. Same goes for Rafael. It's when its a more unusual name that the connotations tend to stick.

Chirimoya