Question...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I was just talking to my sister who was very upset, because over the weekend she went to an ATM which took her card. Given that the bank wasn't open she had to wait until today to go claim her card, but when she showed up at the bank they said her card wasn't in the machine and all her money was gone from her account. Is there anything you can do in this case? Obviously someone from the bank had to get the card out of the machine and in addition they would have to know the pin, I would think. Is the bank responsible for anything? She put the card in an ATM in Cotui after 5:00 P.M. the bank said the next transaction happened in a bank in the capital about 6:00 P.M., obviously not enough time to drive from Cotui to Sto Dgo. Have any of you heard of any scams going on that would be similar to this?

Dec 9, 2002
I live in England and scams like this are big business over here. I have heard that they slip some sort of magnetic film in the machine which then holds onto your card, they can then retrieve it - and your pin number at the same time - and bingo your cash becomes their cash.

Personally I am paranoid about using "hole in the wall" cash machines. I will only do so if the bank is open and I am always very very wary of any other people who are around at the same time. But hey, that's just life in the big bad cities in England.

I've never used one in DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It must have been a mechanical scam. Someone put something in the machine to hold the card and when she left, they retreived the card and used it.
The bank should have a camara there that recorded the transaction and the face of the person. Talk to the bank manager about this.

HB

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Sorry for your sister's loss. Always keep the contact (phone nos.) information that comes with the card and the information on the back of the card. Whenever your card is swallowed by a machine, don't take a chance and wait to get it from back the ATM proprietor, phone the card issuer immediately, there too many scams going on.

If you are traveling, it is best to limit the amount of cards you have with you and keep a separate list of card nos. and phone contacts with you. If they are lost or swallowed by the ATM machines you have recourse, provided the issuers are notified immediately.

One of the scams I am aware of is a posted message saying the ATM is out of order and to use the separate card reader attached to the ATM to process your transaction. The separate card reader takes your card no. and pin number and records it for the scam artist. You are unable to make your transaction(s) and the scam man has access to your money. Regards, PJT

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
However how much can you lose when the max withdrawal is 5000rd per day?:confused:
J.H.
It sucks to lose 10000rd but shit happens.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You should insist with the bank on an investigation. If the bank does not want to move, then the police is the next step. Don't go the police alone, go with a well-connected Dominican friend or with an attorney.

S

Stephen

We are from Puerto Plata, during the Christmas holiday we were in Neyba and none of the ATM's were workng at all.

We went 1 hour (more or less) away to Barahona to use our Banco Popular cards. We wanted to withdraw 4,000 peso and when we tried on a Banco Popular machine, the ATM made a lot of noise but didn't give any money. SO, we went to another ATM (BankInter) or something like that and withdrew $4000. peso.

Upon checking the account on the internet I saw that $8000. was recorded as being withdrawn. I then called Banco Popular Internet department and spoke to a girl that I have dealt with for many years who speaks English. She promised to investigate. A few days ago she called and stated that the bank manager said that there was no shortage on the machine, although she did acknowledge that sometimes the money falls inside. This hasn't happened to me before with Banco Popular (With Bancredito many times).

Anyone have any suggestions on any recourse. I know that a few of my employees have had this happen here in POP at the ATM for small amounts such as $100. and $200 peso and have never been able to get it back. I never followed up on those incidents since it isn't worth the time for such a small amount.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Sorry if I dont understand but if the withdrawal limit is 5000 pesos per day how can you have 2 4ooo peso withdrawals in an hour.Am I the only one whos ATM card has this limit?
J.H.:confused:

S

Stephen

Oh, Johnny Honda, I am sorry. I forgot to mention that we used another card figuring that the first card wasn't working. There was a total of $8000. taken out. $4000 on each even though we only got $4000. Sorry

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Thanks for your comments guys! It looks like she will just lose all the money. The bank is just giving her the runaround...told her to go to the capital where the money was supossedly withdrawn, etc...I'm sure the bank in the capital will tell her that they can't do anything, because she put the card in an ATM in Cotui...and so on.

Johnny: They cleaned out her account and it was a lot more than $10,000. I don't think there's a limit on how much you can withdraw, or the limit is set up by your bank. Either way I've personally withdrawn as much as 10000 PSOs at once with my ATM card, from Popular. She said they made a lot of 3 - 4000 PSOs withdrawals. Personally I think that someone from the bank may have done it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
YOU MUST GO TO THE BANK AND YELL
THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT THEY DO NOT OR CANNOT FIND OUT WHO USED THAT CARD...IT IS ALL ON TAPE FOT CHRIST' PHUCKING SAKE!! THAT IS A BULLSHIT ATTITUDE FOR ANY BANK TO TAKE..
GET ON THEIR CASE

Posted by a pissed off HB