geographically ignorant americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
The last 3 Americans, all adults, all with college degrees, I spoke to about the Dominican Republic thought it was in the south pacific. Granted the DR isnt exactly a hub of world wide commerce but this is really sad...

Apr 26, 2002
If the DR would just produce some terrorists or the bomb (a funny thought, in the latter case), Americans and Dominicans would learn all about each other real fast. Otherwise, Americans don't need to know where anywhere else is.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
YEAH, right. A poll sponsored by National Geographic showed that the majority of Americans didn't even have a general idea of where Afganistan was, or that it was the base country of the Taliban. Go figure.

In their defense I must say that I just recently found out where the US is :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A friend of mine,with a medical degree from Harvard,and a graduate of Hollyoke Colle

Had an apartment over her garage to rent(I'd say Carriage House,but that sounds ssooooo Boston!)She called Student Housing Office at Harvard to list the apt.They called back later with the names of several freshmen students.She was told that one of the students was not an American,and that he was from British Colombia.She asked if he spoke any English,because she couldn't speak any Spanish!!!! Harvard Degree????CRIS

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
When I was living in Maine, a report hit the nightly news of a geography test given to high school seniors in Boston. over half could not pick out the 6 New England states on a map.

I guess that is one good thing about growing up military. Always on the road, so you learn by experience and not some picture in a book.

Jerry

Ruth

Jan 31, 2003
ah, the moderator already deleted my post even though i was talking about Americans' idiocy!

Apr 26, 2002
There used to be a show where a fake Canadian newsteam would interview Americans for their opinions on bogus world events. For example, the interviewer asked a number of Harvard students and professors: "Do you agree that the government of the State of Saskatchewan should reinstitute its ban against the clubbing of baby seals?" The results were hillarious.

Negro Lindo

Dec 26, 2002
It's true, we are not taught much about Geograpy after maybe the 4th grade unless you elect to take a class on the subject, and we are not taught much about other governments or countries, some of the major countries get mentioned. It's sad, many of us (including me) can't tell you the capital of most states or the exact location. I know a few but not all of them.

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
From the lips of Little g.w. Bush:

Border relations between Canada and Mexico have never been better.
-- Dubya apparently forgetting about the country wedged between Canada and Mexico. Press conference with Canadian PM, Sept. 24, 2001

We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, and we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease.
-- Warsaw, Poland, June 15, 2001

-Jose?to
Copying stuff from other sites.

Ruth

Jan 31, 2003
and would you please tell us negro how it affects your life not to know where afghanistan is?

Did it prevent your army to go there after bin laden?

Status
Not open for further replies.