Moving to the DR - DR1 unlimited info!!

jenjen

Feb 4, 2003
So I'm fairly new to the site. Actually found it through escapeartist.ca (or .com ?) The reason I came to DR1 - interested in moving there like so many other people.

From some of my reading on this site, I've learned my situation (or dream) is a pretty common thing. I am 25, living in Toronto Ontario. My first trip to DR was sometime back in the 80's. Over the years, I've been there many times - always on an AI vacation. However, my main interest of travel does not lie within the resorts of any country. I am intrigued with the local daily life, and particularily countries less fortunate than mine (some think I'm crazy!). I have travelled to other 3rd world countries (Thailand/India) but the DR has always had a spot in my heart, hence the fact I would like to live there.

Another thing I've always wanted to do is speak Spanish. Yes I can take courses, but they are not the answer for me. I've tried, learned a little - but I know when you are surrounded and living in a country that's speaks a certain language - you must and will learn. This I am determined.

So am I getting to a point? I would like to move to DR, and have read many many threads about this. #1 - is better to live there for a time-period (ie. 3-6 mnths). #2 - better to be there to find a job than from here in Canada.

I have a couple options that I'm trying to weigh out for myself and would appreciate some comments from anyone willing to help.
1- There are "study abroad" programs available to book through Canada, in which a person can go to Santo D. and learn Spanish at the university, while living with a host family. This costs approx. $1700 cdn/month. Classes are 4 hours/day (I think every day). I was thinking if I take this approach, I will start to learn the language, and have a chance to familiarize myself with DR.
2- A very good friend of mine here is married to a Dominican (both live here). Her family is in Puerto Plata. He offered to speak with his family, and I could stay with them... find a job etc.

I figure these are my best 2 options right now. Whatever I decide to do, one thing I know for sure (and has been enforced several times from reading) is go with lots of money to start off there. I was wondering in your opinions, which option is better, for what reason(s). RE: study abroad - would things like this be available simply through DR at a cheaper cost?

Any info is appreciated - thanks in advance. And for those who are now ready to 'slam' me - well I know it's to be expected.

Jan - thx for your email, I will definately be in touch. Where are you from? I am only familiar with the main 'tourist' cities, so if you could let me know which one you're closest to!
:)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Of the two options, the study program is by far the best for you at this time, especially given your present inabaility to communicate in Spanish.

jenjen

Feb 4, 2003
I don't have the info with me, however if I remember correctly - $1700 includes classes, rent, 3 meals/day. Laundry can be arranged. I've contaced another company to see what they offer, but I'd still be interested in finding out how much something like this would cost in DR directly (without an 'agency' or 'middleman').

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Entrena, S.A. has a good language program that includes living with Dominican families in the barrios. Peace Corps uses them for training their volunteers, a lot of other foreigner also use them. I remember seeing Japanese companies using them. I think other on this board have heard of them. I don't know the cost however since that was covered by the Peace Corps. It is however not a university and you probably wouldn't get credit for the Spanish classes taken.