"Something To Declare" Julia Alvarez

M

Mia

A little while back, there was a thread of posts about a noval called "In The Time of the Butterflies" by Julia Alvarez. This morning, while in my favorite bookstore, I discovered Alvarez's newest bookl called "Something to Declare." Rather than a novel, it is a collection of essays reflecting on her own experience as a young Dominican girl, forced to leave the DR in exile (her father was involved in the failed coup against Trujillo) and who moved to NY City with her family. The book is about the personal struggles and joys she has encountered as a woman having each foot in a different culture. I love the way Alvarez writes, and if you love the DR, or if you are a Domnican woman living in the U.S, you might enjoy this book too . The reviews looked great. Unfortunately it is still in hard cover right now. But still, nice to know that it is out there. Thought I would pass this along. Mia

D

Dee DeMusis

Hi there, Mia: Nice to see you here again!!! SOMETHING TO DECLARE is one of the best books I could recommend to DR NUTS...Alvarez has done about the best job of giving us gringos a good look into Dominicana. Pass it on! DEE

M

May

Hi, I started that thread and am excited to read this. It's funny. I haven't even been to the Domincan yet and my 1st trip shall be somewhat insulated due to who I'm traveling with and where we're primarily staying, but I get a feeling that this is one place I'm just going to love. Places with character are what makes this world great. The Dominican appears to be one of those places