Cock fights

DamnYankee

Feb 9, 2003
Can anyone tell me where I can see a cock fight in the Sosua or Jarabocoa area? Last time I was there I just missed one in Tamboril, right place, wrong time.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Cockfights can be seen or arranged at almost any colmado in the campo.
Driving up the Carratera Duarte one can see many small cockfighting stadiums. Just pull over and ask when is the next one.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Golo,

Cockfighting is not a sport. It is entertainment and a way to gamble. much like Dog racing. But I do agree it is for the chopo crowd.
Chopo sports are Soccer, Hockey, Bowling and Basketball.
Yachting! now that is a real sport. So is Autoracing(but Not NASCAR. The Professional wrestling of Motorsports), Bullfighting, Hunting, Big Game fishing, Fly Fishing and Golf.
As much as I like Baseball and football They are not a sport but a game.

Go Alinghi!

DamnYankee

Feb 9, 2003
I read that cockfighting was the national sport of the DR until the US millitary ocupation. I'm not looking to take it up as a hobby, it just seemed like something worth checking out there. Kind of like going to a winery in France.
As for being a chopo, I'm not looking to impress any third world wanna- be gold diggers while I'm on vacation.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Unfortunately, the gallera has been removed from Sos?a.

(Too bad, too, cuz they had the freshest pica pollo around!)

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
u wanna see a cock fight?

stand naked in front fo the mirror and...well..nevamind

:)

Apr 26, 2002
DamnYankee said:
I'm not looking to impress any third world wanna- be gold diggers while I'm on vacation.

Yankee,

One thing that many Americans don't understand about the "third world" is that the wealthy have as much money, if not more, than the American wealthy. You see it's helpful when 80% of a county's wealth is in the hands of 2% of the population.

And they're not "wanna-be gold diggers". They're the real thing.

That said, I'm with you. Chopos of the world unite!!!

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
TonyC.......you are right on the money here buddy, I would also go on to include Midgets etc in the motor sport category and then would add..Dominos as a super chopo sport.

Damnyankee....Dominicans who live well live above the living standards of most Americans. However, I for one want the DR to go back 10 years like we had it, no power, water shortage, so few traffic lights, so few cars, I was a king back then in my Mazda 323.

Missing......just missing the gold ol? DR

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Missing_ DR, the good ol days are coming back. Business is getting better (at least for me) and action is very cheap everywhere. So hurry on back to the promised land.
There is a cock fight arena in miamon (north coast), right off the main road on to a dirt road (ask anyone). There are a few places in santiago area, one is right near my neighborhood in a chopo area.
I had seen a few of the fights and I tell you, the rooster gets killed in a horrible fashion or gets beat-up untill he can't walk. Either way you get to eat him fried outside, the same day. People bet huge money on them and often end up fighting themselves over disputes. Once, a cock was about to get killed and on his way going down (certain win win situation for the other cock) the dying cock jumped up and struck a major artery in the neck of the winning cock. The winning cock died in a second and all hell broke loose. There was a major fight about to break up as people intervened and cooled the guys off. Its a disturbing entertainment but never a dull moment.
Go see it for yourself.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
missing_dr said:
However, I for one want the DR to go back 10 years like we had it, no power, water shortage, so few traffic lights, so few cars, I was a king back then in my Mazda 323.

Missing......just missing the gold ol? DR

Amazing. The "good old days" to me date back to the 60's. Had fewer cars and less traffic, but abundant water and electricity supplies (our electric bill was only $1-2 monthly). I drank my water straight from the faucet, too! Geez!!! What has happened?

Cock fighting has been ever popular. Some owners have lots of money wrapped up in those roosters.

Swede

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Jane J. said:
Unfortunately, the gallera has been removed from Sos?a.

(Too bad, too, cuz they had the freshest pica pollo around!)

HAHA hilarious and very true.......oh DR how I miss it:classic:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cockfights

What you have to do is ask the locals "Cu?ndo hay pelea de gallos?"

Each arena has certain days. If there is no place in Sosua, you can bet your bottom dollar there is one near there...Word...

YOu pay an entrance fee, and you can consume food and drinks inside. I would never recommend that you bet on anything.

It is a spectical, so enjoy it for what it is, a substitute for bullfighting and a substitute for war...goes all the way back to medieval times...

HB

abe

Jan 2, 2002
cockfights near Cabarete

At the next major intersection east of Cabarete turn inland and on your right you will soon see a cockfighting arena. The town is Saboneta, but I don't know when the events are.

As for animal rights people, I respect their views and I pose this simple question: When you watch the majestic bald eagle swoop down from the sky and grab an unsuspecting fish in its beak, which species do you root for?

Just wondering.

DamnYankee

Feb 9, 2003
Thanks all, I'm sure I will be able to find one. I don't plan on gambling, as a tourist that seems a little bit like betting three card monty in Manhatten. Just in it for the chopo carnage:devious:
Only four more days to go!!!!!! Free motorcycle rides for any girl in a uniform! hahaha

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Hey Yankee- check my trip report (Playa Dorado Jan). Cocks fights in Puerta Plata every Sat and Sun. They start around 3pm. Arena is located near Brugal plant, just across the street on a short dead end road.

sirlurksalot

Apr 2, 2002
Cock fighting for vacation fun & $$

This is one of my favorite activites when we're in the DR and I
wanted to put in a comment or 2 on this sport. When we visit
our friends in Dajabon we normally get to 3 or 4 fights in our
week long visit. It is one of our main recreational activities (after
drinking mucho Presidentes frio.) I concur with the advice given
by the posters that you wouldn't want to place bets if you are
not familiar with the language and lingo of the arena.
We go with our Dominican friends who happen to love the sport
and they place our bets. One chicken will have a red band
on his leg, the other will have a white band. That part is pretty
straight forward. It gets more complicated when odds are given,
and, as the fight progresses, some folks will hedge their bets. The whole arena is charged with excitement. The guardia with their M-16's help contribute to that excitement. Over the
years I've developed some proficiency at picking winners. My
last visit I made enough to pay for over half of my vacation.
There is a down side however. If you win too often you won't
be able to get any bets. Still a lot of fun being in the stands
watching everybody. I've even eaten some of the "freshest"
pollo to be found. This is a huge sport in the DR. I would
think more tourists would want to check it out.