Domestic Violence & Suicide in the DR!9Replaces Demonic Males/Apes thread now CLOSED!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Domestic Violence & Suicide in the DR!D--Please continue "Apes" thread Here!

Those who are seriously discussing this topic please continue! Others please stay out! CCC

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From Diario Libre 3rd March 2003

In 2002 there was more than one suicide each day.
It is worth noting that the majority of suicides, 353, were carried out by men.

In 2002, 394 people killed themselves in various parts of the country, the equivalent of just over one case each day. This according to the records presented by the National Police before the National Assembly on February 27th.

The overwhelming majority of the suicides, 353, were committed by men. Only 41 women took the fatal decision. The most commonly used method was hanging - 183 cases - followed by gunshots -110-, poisoning - 78- jumping from heights - 13- and other methods - 10.

Most cases, 95 were in the Santo Domingo metropolitan area, and of these, 83 were men and 12 women. The main method in the capital was gunshots, in 37 cases, followed by hanging in 36. In the province of Santo Domingo there were 20 cases. Santiago follows with the second greates number of cases, 48. 43 of which were carried out by men and 5 by women. Hanging was the most common method, used by 16 people. La Vega comes third, with 23 cases: 21 men and 2 women.

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
Tony C...

Even if the numbers reported on Ercata are doubled or tripled for the DR, they would still pale in comparison to those Eastern European countries.

Could it be that the DR media does a good job of reporting suicides, thus giving the impression that it's a common event?

-Jose?to

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Going back to the original subject

Today it was reported in various DR news reports that more than 100 men a month are now reporting women abusing them psychologically. This is a new trend which can be mostly classified as "defensive measure against possible violence at home".

According to Elisa Sanchez, in charge of the family protection unit at the Attornet General's office men are accusing women of leaving them behind taking care of the home and kids, so that they can go out at night to clubs, dancing and socializing. They feel this is a provocation. The happy girls are out driving luxury vehicles and jeepetas and showing off their belly buttons and tattoed rears. Some of the men have changed the locks in their homes to prevent them from entering that late.

The attorneys have been asked to call the abusing chicks and give them advice before they men use macho tactics to uphold their honor. The men claim the stress and agony of waiting for their wives is unbearable and can cause them to lose their cool.

The officials indicate that many women are so abusive that they are now trying to use law 24-97 to force men to provide them with financial support of as much as $50,000 a month.

So there you have it girls. When you get your head served in a tray and your body dumped in a waste tank, don't argue. You have been warned.

As for me, I have always said marriage with Dominican gals is for nitwits and the best tool for these chicks is a good, solid "Separacion de Bienes" where they can't even take out the panties they brought in to your place.

TW

TW

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Pobrecitos!

men are accusing women of leaving them behind taking care of the home and kids, so that they can go out at night to clubs, dancing and socializing. They feel this is a provocation.

If this outrageous behaviour merits punishment by death then men would be dying in their thousands... If the men don't like it, why don't they leave? Which is what people so often say about abused women.

Chiri

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: Going back to the original subject

Of all you said this is the only part I actually read in the newspaper.
[B]golo[/B] said:
Today it was reported in various DR news reports that more than 100 men a month are now reporting women abusing them psychologically. According to Elisa Sanchez, in charge of the family protection unit at the Attornet General's office men are accusing women of leaving them behind taking care of the home and kids, so that they can go out at night to clubs, dancing and socializing. They feel this is a provocation. The men claim the stress and agony of waiting for their wives is unbearable and can cause them to lose their cool.
You are passing your own judgments and words as news. http://www.listin.com.do/cuerpos/republica/rep4.htm

In the other thread you made a comment about how women stick with abusive husbands. A friend pointed out today how the overwhelming majority of the women killed or attacked by their spouses had actually left them. The abusers' excuse is that they didn't want to go back with them. There goes your theory.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
TW waggles the stick in the hive again :)

I thought guys complaining of abuse was an urban legend...

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
After reading several of the on-line DR newspapers, Pib's interpretation of the story is more accurate. Golo's version contains quite a bit of embellishing.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Oh really? and now 30 and counting

Read El Caribe's story, translate it and tell me how much embellishment there is? If there is any colorfulness added to it, I bet the real thing could have been more exciting.

Now tell me this one.....Is this one embellishment too? Taken from today's Ultima Hora:

A private watchman shot his wife in the " ass" and killed her due to a jealous spat. This just took place in Azua. The guy then shot himself. The saga continues.

Also today, a seargent shot his wife near Autopista de Las Americas for the same reason. The woman is in critical condition at Dario Contreras Hospital.

TW

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
And this one just in too!!!

Word for word translation from a statement given by National District Attorney Aristy Caraballo:

"The fact that so many men are complaining about their wives' late nights out is a sign of our social decomposition and therefore, men have to tighten their belts, to carry on with their duties, but also to demand respect for their rights from their wives"(end of quote from Ultima Hora)

TW...p.s. I didn't make it up. PIB please confirm this for me...these guys don't believe me.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
There, you see, you've just learnt how to use the quotation marks correctly. Not all is lost. My job here is done.

BTW, Aristy Caraballo is nowhere near defending or suggesting abuse as the solution. Divorce is always a better choice.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
another one... from La Ultima Hora 11.03.03

"Se quita la vida porque mujer ya no lo quer?a

NARCISO ACEVEDO
SAN FRANCISCO DE MACOR?s

Un joven de 21 a?os de edad se suicid? de un disparo de escopeta en el t?rax, despechado porque supuestamente su mujer estaba negada a reconciliarse con ?l.
Jonathan F?lix Tejada, residente en la calle Roberto C No. 51 del sector Pueblo Nuevo,
Se quit? la vida haci?ndose un disparo en el pecho con una escopeta de fabricaci?n casera, de las denominadas chilena.
La polic?a inform? que F?lix Tejada se encontraba separado de su concubina y que se present? a su vivienda a exigirle que se unieran de nuevo a lo que ?sta se neg? porque supuestamente ya no lo quer?a, lo que fue motivo suficiente para que se suicidara. "

From La Utlima Hora 11.03.03

Basically this joven kills himself with a shotgun because his "concubina" wouldn't get back together with him. She is a least lucky to be alive the way things are going these last few days with murder/suicides on the rise!

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
We are warned

I miss the other closed thread, but ressuming, we go back to basics here.
A relationship should be based in trusting each other, now, giving liberty to your girlfriend to hang out with friends, we should remember how and where we knew the first time, specially knowing how they like to flirt and how easy is to any girl in this country to get a man.
When you begin your relationship with a Dominican girl, dont expect to receive nothing back, not even a "I love U" unless your buying her something in that moment.
So if she comes home late, you are jealous and then you opt for violence, first comes trouble, then she is gonna leave you no matter how much you apologize.
My advice, buy a dog, at least it moves his tail happy to see you when you get back at 4 am, and keeps the burglars away.

G.

Mar 21, 2002
Like Eminem says we are movin towarda a new world orda.

I happy that many women in the DR are finally waking up. They are sick and tired of the arrogant attitudes of the typical latino machismo. Let them go out with their friends and come back home when they feel like it. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Any fool who marries in the DR is just asking for trouble.

I remember this Coronei once told me his wife is only his when he is on top of her doing the nasty. Otherwise it could be anyone elses. Honest guy who just says it as it is.

The amount of suicides is saddening though. People would think that all dominicans are generally happy go lucky people. These facts state otherwise. I always thought that the suicides would be higher due to the level of crushing poverty, boredom, and alienated families.

Just imagine doing, eating and being in the same ole same ole year after year. Mosquitoes, platanos, and tin roofs for the rest of your life. I think I would have jumped into the sea along time ago if that was my plight.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Onions&carrots said:
The amount of suicides is saddening though. People would think that all dominicans are generally happy go lucky people. These facts state otherwise. I always thought that the suicides would be higher due to the level of crushing poverty, boredom, and alienated families.

Just imagine doing, eating and being in the same ole same ole year after year. Mosquitoes, platanos, and tin roofs for the rest of your life. I think I would have jumped into the sea along time ago if that was my plight.

What you said is so true, in the last four years that I have visited my little campo the only thing that changes are a couple more people have died, and 100 more babies have been produced. It wasn't until about 1 1/2 years ago that they got electricity, and so at least people are more focused on making enough to afford a fridge to make ice in, or a blender, even an iron. Most of the times though there isn't enough wattage to run anything.

They only in the last year got a solar powered cell phone that people can receive calls for free and pay cell phone prices like $13 pesos a minute to call out. But at least when there is an emergency people can be reach quicker than sending a motoconcho from the pueblo which takes 1/2 hour.

Day in and day out the same thing. I love going back to visit, because it's as I'd never left.

Mar 21, 2002
Which campo is that. Tell me details as to the region, town etc as I have travelled extensivley with my uncle in remote areas during la fiebre porcina. During that time los campesinos by order of the gov't had to kill the infected livestock. My uncle as a bigwig inspector in charge at Banco Agricola would travel to remote areas at times overseeing the destruction. I would tag along cuz I liked the other DR people never see. The one that is far away from all the smog, misery, and strife- the DR that is pristine untouched towns as they were a century ago.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I lived in a small campo outside of the pueblo of Padre Las Casas, dustbowl. Population of about 1000 voters therefore assume about 6-8 kids per household it's heavily populated with muchachos, the best free labor around.

It is in the mountains and beautiful, if you ignore the bare hillside, but foresta has been doing alot of replanting of pine, thanks to the Japanese and slowly the area is becoming revitelized.

They grown shade coffee, cattle, sheep, and lots and lots of habichuela and guandules.

P.L.C. is a town run by corruption and boredom. You could be a wanted man that the police from the capital will never find you because you've paid everyone to keep thier mouth shut. It's the best place to hide from the DEA, Columbians, or just ordinary gang rivalery.

Mar 21, 2002
Interesting does it get very cold at night? What is your background? Are you Norweigan or Dominican? What were you ding there? Peace Corps? That is pretty big by my standards. 1000 people is large compared to some extremely desolate regions.

I've been to places not qualified as a village with only several dozen families. Funny though Brugal has managed to reach them and name them where there was no name. Usually these towns for lack of a better word have the big red brugal square sign with usually Aguacate as its name.

So if ya'll out there get lost and visit Aguacate you are LOST. Most no named enclaves are termed Aguacate. LOL

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In case you have not noticed yet,This is not a "Chat Room"!

This is a Thread,about domestic violence & suicide in the DR!Please take your personal "Chit Chat" to another location."PM", or "E-Mail" come to my mind!

Moderator CCCCCCCCC