What's Behind This?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I'm always struck senseless - not literally thankfully - of how motorists here in the DR....

In an effort to be politically correct, this can include donkey drawn car axles with pieces of plywood for a dump-bed, motoconchos, buses, 4 wheelers, and fruit trucks so overloaded that they defy physics - and whatever else you see on a day to day basis in/around S.D.

.... never stop at a STOP SIGNS in a 4 way intersection, but the motorists that don't have the STOP SIGNS, do stop.

Understand, I'm not ranting and raving, I'm just perplexed.

I'm trying to learn Spanish right now, so I don't want to use the word "Pare" to tell someone to stop, and have them run away at full speed.

I'm not trying to belittle this (ok, maybe a-little), but I'm really curious, is there some deep seated resentment of being told what to do on the road and Dominicans (I hope I'm not generalizing) just won't stand for it?

Of course that would mean the ones stopping are thinking that they'd better look both ways in case they are coming the other way?

Anyone? Or does this ONLY happen in my neighborhood?

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
Not a Dominican "thing"

Friends at home are perplexed that I choose to drive in DR. But I'm well trained. Driving in Miami is very similar. You're trying to make a left turn and some jerk sits to the right of you trying to beat you. And then there is the speed freak that changes lanes to gain inches and seconds jeopardizing your safety and his. And so forth and so on. In Miami you drive defensively to survive.
When I was in Spain I read Iberia by Michener. He describes the character of the Spaniard and us, "the Colonies" as intensely focused in asserting our individuality and, even as I fear overintelectualizing, I justify the driving madness as just part of "our" character. Bottom line: take responsibility and drive TOTALLY defensively

arenas809

May 22, 2002
Re: Not a Dominican "thing"

earosemena said:
Friends at home are perplexed that I choose to drive in DR. But I'm well trained. Driving in Miami is very similar. You're trying to make a left turn and some jerk sits to the right of you trying to beat you. And then there is the speed freak that changes lanes to gain inches and seconds jeopardizing your safety and his. And so forth and so on. In Miami you drive defensively to survive.
When I was in Spain I read Iberia by Michener. He describes the character of the Spaniard and us, "the Colonies" as intensely focused in asserting our individuality and, even as I fear overintelectualizing, I justify the driving madness as just part of "our" character. Bottom line: take responsibility and drive TOTALLY defensively

Earo, I pray before I go out on U.S. 1, daily.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This sums it up for me:

Driving in the DR

Driving here always strikes me as the perfect combination of selfishness and stupidity. Drivers show aggression and dominance for the sake of it, even if it means creating total gridlock. Courtesy is seen as weakness. People here are usually so polite in day to day life but behind the wheel this goes out of the window. Yet you don't see really violent road rage.

Funnily enough today in the Diario Libre they mention a lighter aspect of last week's Gallup-Rumbo poll where over 90% of Dominicans express strong disapproval of poor driving and other bad habits.

Chiri

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
EARO,

You are probobly one of the people who are getting in my way by driving 55 in the left hand lane on the Palmetto.

Most people truly believe that they are good drivers but few really are. How many of you know the limits of adhesion of your vehicle? If you don't then you will end up in a ditch or up against a light post when you have to take quick action in an emergency.
In a perfect world getting a drivers license would be as hard as getting a private pilots license.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
another thing that is frequently commented on is that Dominicans change their attitude to traffic laws when in the US, and when they are back home on holiday they revert to type - this is my country and no one is gonna tell me what to do - type thing.

Chiri

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
What...Miami?

Miami is a piece of cake. You have to drive in Boston, and I'm telling you that as an ex-New Yorker.
Boston has the most aggressive drivers in the US.
:dead:

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I agree petaka, I am Boston born and bred and driving schooled. Daughter of a former Boston cabbie. We don't screw around. However, the DR is much worse than Boston ever is.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I spent 25 wonderful years driving in Boston!

Sure I had "lots" of accidents,but that was because I wanted to! You have to exert yourself in Boston! When I went to New York City I wondered what was the "Big Deal" about driving there?Just like here! I love driving here.Sure I have had lots of accidents,but only because they were necessary as not to let anyone cut me off,or pass me!You have to exert yourself in Santo Domingo! I have Huge "Defensas" front and back here,I could have used them in Boston! I leave those nasty "Publicos" along side the roaad! A "Driver Training" student ran into my rear end while I was stopped at a light.Left them for DEAD! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
Originally posted by Tony C

" You are probobly one of the people who are getting in my way by driving 55 in the left hand lane on the Palmetto."

I just hope I gave you the finger when you tried to pass me at 65mph on a 35mph zone. LOL

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
earosemena said:
Originally posted by Tony C

" You are probobly one of the people who are getting in my way by driving 55 in the left hand lane on the Palmetto."

I just hope I gave you the finger when you tried to pass me at 65mph on a 35mph zone. LOL

I am a graduate of the Italian School of race Car driving.

"What isa behind me isa not important!"

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Think back to the 1800's in the Wild West days of the USA. Anarchy and lawlessness. Undeveloped societies lack the appreciation for the rule of law. Equitable and swift excecution of the laws. Without this....anarchy reigns...true democracy and capitalism will be held at bay...baboons will continue to rule....standard of living of the average Dominican will not change.