Shipping Computer to DR

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have a pretty kick butt computer back in the states that I am thinking about having here. The last time I brought a computer in I had all the parts in my luggage and was not stopped by customs. I then bought a case here and paid a service fee to have the system put together.

The problem with the other system is it is not a run of the mill system, and it would be impossible to find a case for it here. I have a Digital Video Editing system installed but obviously could remove that and carry it in my carry on if necessary.

My question is, do I try and pack it up and check it as baggage? Do I ship UPS? Do I need a customs broker? How much "ball park" would customs charge etc.

I seem to remember that a Dominican resident could clear a computer from customs without paying? Or is that just if moving here? I could ship the system via UPS to my novia who is obviously a resident.

Once the system is here there is a chance that I will sell similar systems to some TV stations etc. How would one build customs fees into the price if it seems near impossible to know for sure what one would pay?

Maybe I should once again carry in the parts and just ship the case here?

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Is it an Avid system? Media 100? Does it have Adobe After Effects or Photoshop? I used to work at a big TV station down in DR so I knew a little about those things. As far as I know you could bring it in parts all disassembled and then get the case in DR as some stations do all the time, they send someone to whereever they ordered the equipment and fly back to DR with it. However be careful if it's Media 100 because that's a $24,000 investment and it would suck to mess up the video cards at Customs or during the trip. Just do your research and think of a plan regarding how it will be done.