who is Josh Gonzalez?

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I do not know if there is a poster here with that name and if you would like to remain anonymous, that is fine by me. I do not know any Josh Gonzalez's yet this generous person sent a nice chunk of change to Project Damalbi. I thank you, thank you, thank you, if you are a member of the board! (I really have no idea who the person is--just received a check.....)

Project Damalbi phase 2 starts next week! I'll keep you guys posted on her prognosis!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
MaineGirl said:
I do not know if there is a poster here with that name and if you would like to remain anonymous, that is fine by me.

How nice of him, though I guess with posting his name he ain't anonymous any more.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Project Dalmalbi

These folks prefer to remain anonymous - here is a quote from a message that I received from them.

"Me and the Mrs. hope the humble donation we made in response to your post about Jacelin goes a long way in changing her life, and Damalbis' for the better."

Thank-you! I have another donation in my purse - a regular poster gave me 500 pesos over lunch one day.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Hi Franky,

Project Damalbi is a fund that was started over a year ago to help a deaf girl living in Luperon, DR. Now it includes another deaf girl from Cabarete named Jacelin. Money has been graciously donated by people interested in the story, friends, churches, and even complete strangers. The money is used for testing purposes (usually expensive, but necessary in order to provide further resources), educational materials, and further schooling and opportunities for these girls.

If you would like to see a picture of Damalbi, got to www.xach.com/amity/drweb/damalbi. I don't have any pictures of Jacelin yet but will soon.

This fund is overseen by Chris (a DR1 regular) and myself (somewhat of an irregular). We hope to get a website up soon letting people know the details of the girls' lives. www.projectdamalbi.org has the barest of essentials (basically an email address and a picture.)

I can say that part of the vision for this project is to PROVIDE OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOUNG, DEAF DOMINICANS via testing, schooling, and more.

I hope this answers your question! Chris, care to add your dos centavos?

:) :) :)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Maybe just to say that if you click the search button and type in project damalbi, you will find most of the previous threads on this topic.

The project is a little quiet at the moment. It is summer holidays and the kids are doing what they should be doing - playing. I will update from my side again when Jaquelin goes to school sometime in September.

Just another thank-you to all who so generously donate what they feel is right so that we can continue to supply to the girls the testing and educational and schooling materials that that they need.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Who is Josh Gonzalez

Chris--

I'm not trying to steal your thunder, but would you e-mail me particulars on your project?

Sorry folks, but I know of no other way to contact and it's important to me.

Texas Bill

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Bill,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

F.Y.I.

You could do a search (SEARCH button at top of page) for Jaquelin or Damalbi or you can contact Chris directly by clicking on the E-MAIL or PM buttons beneath any of her posts.

Gregg

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Texas Bill, wish there was thunder here. It is slow and patient process. But here is an update.

The particulars are quite simple. MaineGirl on a previous visit to the DR found a bright young girl who was deaf and was certainly not getting the support, education and training that she deserved. MaineGirl's husband is deaf, so, through her experience, had the background and knowledge to get Damalbi tested in order to find the extent of her deafness. There are two tests and both of these showed that Damalbi has no physical 'pieces' in place to be able to hear. What this means, is that hearing aids, or operations will not improve the situation. MaineGirl started a fund (Project Damalbi) administered by the church in order to attract donations to start getting Damalbi the education that she needs. MaineGirl also supported Damalbi and her family by teaching and training basic skills at home.

For Jaquelin, her mother works for me and Jacquelin is also a very bright young girl with the same prognosis as Damalbi. Jaquelin lives close to us and she comes over to play with my little granddaughter. As time went on, I asked on the forum if anyone knew of what we could do to help her. Through the forum MaineGirl and I got together and started the discussions to set together a more formalized organization with a charter and a vision for Project Damalbi.

Where we are now, is that both girls are tested and Jaquelin has been accepted in a school with an appropriate learning environment for her. We've received a number of generous donations from interested and generous people. We've received tremendous help from specifically Hillbilly, setting up times for tests and speaking to the Doctors in advance, so that the whole testing process was easy for both MaineGirl and myself.

We will be transferring the Project Damalbi fund from the US to the Dominican Republic and will place it in a conservative investment with proper oversight in order to try and secure education for 'our' two girls and in future, possibly for others.

The School for the Deaf in Puerto Plata is well supported by the Rotary. With more help from a Rotary member, we managed to get Jaquelin placed in the school. It is a small school with only around 30 students and the school administrator is a wonderful person. Jacquelin will be attending a school that is right for her, for the first time in September. She has been accepted and most of the arrangements have been sorted out.

So, besides the administrative tasks that remain undone (building a website, transferring the fund, writing up vision and charters), we've pretty much managed to do what we can for the two girls. MaineGirl will investigate the school on a future visit for Damalbi, although it is quite a process to get the family, community and people around the girls, involved and committed.

We are learning as we go. The one thing that is clear, is that we would not have come this far without the support, knowledge sharing, and financial and other contributions from visitors, expatriates, Dominicans and just a whole bunch of wonderful people.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Amen to all that.

Chris, I appreciate you articulating everything that has occurred so far.

It certainly could not have happened without a lot of help--both in the States and the DR.

Hillbilly certainly deserves the title of padrino.

Donations are still being accepted through my former church (former only because we moved to Maine this summer....the church is in Virginia).

If you are interested, write a check to:

PROJECT DAMALBI

send to:
CFC Missions
21673 Beaumeade Circle
Ashburn, VA 20127