Practicing medicine in the DR

doc47

Apr 30, 2003
Is it possible for US physicians to obtain licensure to practice in the DR?

Does anyone know of American docs practicing in the DR? (not medical missionaries but docs earning their living working in the DR.)

thanks in advance,
doc

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I referred a friend with the same enquiry to Fabio Guzman's practice a few months ago. I heard at the time, that it is a long and time-consuming process. Fabio should be able to give you correct information.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you do a search in the archives

You will find some posts by ECH MD. A wise man that retired here and is teaching but not practicing medicine here in Santo Domingo.

The process is long and tedious.

You need all of your professional documents, transcripts and certifications to be translated by a legal translator into Spanish. (Edited to say: "Yes, I did forget something") These documents then must be certified by the nearest Dominican Consulate and then, once in the Dominican Republic, they must be submitted to the Foreign Office for re-certification. Then they go to CONES--I think (end of edit)

All these documents go then to the CONES-the National Council of Higher Education-for review.

You need to enter a Dominican University, to take some course work.

You need to obtain your "execuator" , the equivelent of a license.

Recently the Dominican Medical Association started to re-make itself into the Dominican College of Medicine--similar to the AMA..to practice you will have to belong to this organization.

I am sure that I have missed something, but you get the picture.

HB

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
All very good stuff by HB - I think the only thing he forgot (unless things have changed in the last 6 months) is that you have to spend 12 months attached to some clinic or hospital (that THEY choose - not you) generally in a Barrio somewhere doing unpaid work.

If you are coming to the North Coast, I will introduce you to an American Doctor who has been screwed up by the system a couple of times at least!!! Been here 3 years at least & is JUST getting his licenses now! - Grahame.