Just a mess of questions!

GypsyGRL

Apr 26, 2003
Hi!
I've posted a few times already and I feel rather rude for not introducing myself first. My name is Heather and I'm from Northern Manitoba (Canada), where the hell is that? Well, I'm as close to the Arctic Circle as the Dominican is to the Equator! She's a little frosty here for most of the year!! and I have had enough. Just returned from POP and actually felt my bones thaw out, scary thought! Anyway, I love this site, it has been the best source of info I have yet to find! Wish I would've read it before I went down there, may have not made so many silly mistakes!!
I am planning on returning to the DR in March (if not sooner) and I have several questions
I have a beloved German Shepherd (8yrs old) - any chance of her coming with me and surviving the climate, disease ??? Opinions pls.
If I was to rent an apartment to use as "home- base" and travel from it, what are the chances it will be safe when I'm on an extended leave?
Is there any one particular area of the DR that is more appropriate for an expat. to live in?
How do I "politley" tell the DR men "no thank you"?
I have many more questions and comments, but this is a little long already, sorry!
:cool:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Tell them - with a LOVELY smile on your face, that you are down here to marry your Sergent sweetheart (Army or Police - doesn't make any difference) & you don't think he would approve!!

German Shepherd - No problem as long as it has had all it's shots. Good Vet up on the North Coast near Sosua!! The dog will soon loose it's top coat of hair & become adjusted to the heat. As it is 8 years old, is it fair to the dog though?

When leaving the property for extended periods, it is best to get someone to look after the place for you. What would you do with the dog if you brought it down during these exteneded periods away?? Get a 'House sitter' AND the dog & your property should be well taken care of!!

Best area for ex-Pats? Definately the North Coast!!! Heck, it's got Johnny Honda, Ken, several single women Ex-Pats AND me up here!! - Grahame.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Gypsy,

The best place for Ex-Pats? Depends what you want.

If you want, culture, accessabilty, comfort, excitement, convienience, healthcare, education, history, and such then the only place is Santo Domingo.

If not then the north coast is for you

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
Hey GypsyGRl,

First of all I am also from Manitoba:))) and I think we do know each other...Winnipeg???isn't it???LOL

In any case, if it you, glad to see you back online and if not you, glad to meet ya!!!!

I spend over 6 month is Sosua and I would say , if you like to hang around the ex-pats , Sosua is the place to be.

Drop me aline girl and I can tell you so much more. Will be in Winnipeg on the 9th:)))) may be we can have a drink or 3 for old times sake.......

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Your dog will adapt for all climates. That is the beauty of the breed and that is why they are used primarily as a working dog all over the world. Police departments all over the world use them as well as more specific work such as search and rescue.

I have seen quite a few well breed German Shepherds in the DR surprisingly as well as in Costa Rica.

I have my residency in the DR and prefer Sosua as well as the other fellow. If not Sosua, definately the North Coast.

Just kick em in the balls and say is that what you wanted? LOL
They probably won't bother with you further.

Regards,
Escott

GypsyGRL

Apr 26, 2003
Thanks!

Thanks for all that info! I'm glad to hear the ex-pats tend to stick to the North - ppl after my own heart!
Sunnyvillas - sorry I'm from 8 hours north of the 'Peg, but don't let that stop you, tell me more!
Grahame - as always the voice of reason! I don't think I can bring her just for the fact of putting her in cargo for the 6 hour flight would be crushing enough, I'm just trying to justify everything and make myself realize that it would be best to leave her behind.
As for the extended leaves, I would like to make the DR my home, but I've been offered a position which requires a lot of travel (3mos & 6mos) throughout the Carribean, rather than haul everything around, not to mention, havng to find a place to stay for 1-2 mos would be a pain. After each excursion I would like to come "home" and fall into my own bed. Maybe a "boarding house" idea should be considered? Is there such a thing??

GypsyGRL

Apr 26, 2003
jazzcom said:
Just kick em in the balls and say is that what you wanted? LOL
They probably won't bother with you further.

Regards,
Escott [/B]

LOL - I never tried that approach, but I did show one particular "gentleman" at the Crazy Moon disco what a "tittie twister" was. He's damn lucky it wasn't pierced! He also left me alone for the remainder of the evening! However, it was soon forgotten several nights later when we went back!
My mother says I'm too "aggressive", I wonder what she'd say to your answer!

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
Shall I dare ask what did you mean by telling you more, GypsyGRL.
I am sorry you are not from Winnipeg, well, I am not, nobody should be from Winnipeg:)))) But if it makes a difference, I am not there now either, I live in Europe right nowand on the way back for a visit in the begining of June, call it a family pilgrimage:)))
Now , tell me,what is it that you do , that you can travle often to the Caribbean and the company pays for you. Hmmm, girl...lol

I can only wish!!!!, even though I get to travle often , but it's only because my company, which is me, pays for it ...LOL Or I can't take the winter any longer, or have to get new properties added and I always like to see them before adding to the website.

Have a good one and talk to you soon

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
any chance of her coming with me and surviving the climate, disease ??? Opinions pls.

I worked with Sentry dogs in Viet Nam, a climate similar to the D.R. Men worked 8 to 12 hours a day, the dogs worked no more than 5 hours each night! Many of the dogs had problems working in the heat and humidity.
John

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Gypsy GRL, welcome and Sure, you can do it

The trick will be to get an apartment somewhere you like on the North Shore.. That will help solve the "Safety of the Abode issue, in part, at least.

As for the dog. We have Rotties and a beautiful Shepard. He loves to run for a while, but certainly not for long. And he sheds enough to make a rug. But he is a fine dog.

You could bring yours, as BushBaby says. Not a major problem. ?And 8 years is not THAT old for a Shepard.....

You might like to look at dear Santiago, called the Heart of the Country...It has a lot of what Santo Domingo has but is near the North Shore...good connections with the world, too...

HB