Shipping and Import duties?

P

Paul Woodward

I need to ship a car and various household goods to the D.R.

DR1: Any advice?

I know this isn't a regular "tourist" problem, but it would seem to be a very important topic for those of us who are planning to move to the D.R.:

1. RORO (Roll On Roll Off) transportation of vehicles? 2. Import duties on vehicles? 3. Import duties on household goods? 4. Customs proceedures in D.R.? 5. Application paperwork needed before shipments arrive? 6. Which D.R. gov't offices oversee customs? 7. How to avoid getting overcharged for duties? 8. Can duties be asertained in the U.S. before shipment leaves port?

These subjects (and others) need to be understood well before the actual shipping date is at hand, yet answers are proving to be very difficult to come by.

Thanx!

Paul

L

Lori

Were are you moving from? We have just finished doing this. You have to have a lot of patience. We sent everthing over in January the furniture was out in 3 weeks but my car is finally coming out on Friday. The first thing we did was go to the Dominican Consulate in Boston. They told us what we needed to have. There is a lot involved. The best thing is to get a good freight company. they should be able to help you out. Call everyone their prices are all different. I am not sure if it is worth it to send the furniture. I probably would not have done it if we did not send over some Farm equipment. It is worth it (in my opinion) to send the car. I would never buy a car in the DR. They are way to expensive. There are companies that just send cars.

Lori