Re: Racism

Free

Apr 28, 2002
Re: Racism

Slave women had no bargaining power whatsoever. They were brutally raped by their slave owners. While some lighter dominicans parade around boasting about the advantage of having lighter skin, one should remember or rather learn their history of how they obtained their color.. Perhaps, they would take heed to the fact that black and brown is beautiful..

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
got a chip on your shoulder

perhaps you need to read more dominican history and talk to more Domininicans. It wasn't the southern states(USA) Most Dominicans that are of lighter skin are that way because of conscenual union between two people that were attracted to each other. In my wifes family her grandmother was very dark and of african descent, while her grandfather was very white and European looking. As a result of marriages to people from a number of different countries(races) there is every skin shade from very white to very dark(black) in her family. There wasn't any forced relationships. You are talking about 400 years ago.
My wife's indio clara is a very nice colour.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sometimes we need to take a deep breat and count to 10 before we post!

Free, you have offended me,and "Bob",as well as many others who have children with Dominicans! My wife is a "Morenita",I am "White",and the two children we have so far(One more on the way) are very light!I love my children even, if they were "purple",but I will tell you something,I am glad that they have light complexion,and blond hair.Want to know why? Because life will be easier for them here in the DR with light skin!
When you talk about events that supposedly happened,some hundreds of years ago,and blame your problems of today on those suppositions,it shows a lack acceptance of control of your own destiny! It is easier to blame your failures on the actions of others! "Woe Is Me"!"Its not my fault!"
I am very FAT! I don't blame my failures, or successes, on being FAT,I accept them for what they are,a product of me!The result of my personality,"luck",timing,work ethic,etc! Most of us face "discrimination" for one reason or another,some use that as a "reason" to fail,some don't! To which group do you belong? CCCCCCCCCC

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Free said:
Slave women had no bargaining power whatsoever. They were brutally raped by their slave owners. While some lighter dominicans parade around boasting about the advantage of having lighter skin, one should remember or rather learn their history of how they obtained their color.. Perhaps, they would take heed to the fact that black and brown is beautiful..

a black/white mix is beautiful, no doubt about it. but I just want to point out that we don't all get our light eyes and light skin, the way you described above. Your lightner dominicans (not indios/indios claros) are of european or some other background.

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
well I do have to say

European is not a race. if you have color that is from an african decent. whether it be west indian, native american, ethiopian or some other sort. Color is color. and I agree the mix is so beautiful.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Free?????????

I feel nothing but pty for people like yourself wo continue to live on self pity,get a life and make something of yourself, I sincerly doubt if youve picked cotton as a vslave,get over it or waste your life feeling inferior
J.H.

Free

Apr 28, 2002
I'm really shock by the responses to my comment. Oh well, I'll have to further explain my comment. By no means, am I suggesting that there has never been a mutual satisfying relationship between a woman of african descent with a white man. I'm not against interracial dating. Previously, we discussed the social and economic effects of post-slavery, which will and cannot be ever forgotten by no one. The residuals of slavery still effects many througout our globe including DR. As I stated earlier, Slave trade involved several of thousands of slave women, who were brutally raped and as a result beared mulato children. This is why if many of us trace back, we would be able to identify our white and african ancestry. Finally, skin color should never be a deterant for one to succeed.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Free said:
The residuals of slavery still effects many througout our globe including DR.

Unfortunately it's people like yourself that keep the "residuals" of slavery alive. Your a racist living in denial.

The bottom line, who cares! How long are people going to continually try and punish other people for their fore fathers sins.

Move on, please...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Free said:
Slave trade involved several of thousands of slave women, who were brutally raped.
I beg to differ. I am sure it wasn't that simply. Put men and women together, no TV and no reality shows and watch what happens. I am sure that rape was prevalent, but I am also sure that not all of the sex was the product of rape.

I can look up some cites if you so desire, but it is my understanding that the Portuguese and the Spaniards had a completely different view of slavery. Where the French and Anglo colonialist enforced the "one drop" rule the Portuguese and Spaniards (horny bastards they were) did consider the mulato kids their children and would not even consider using them as slaves. That created the current racial scheme prevalent in Latin America where, yes, the lighter the better.

And what Criss said. Let's just breed ourselves out of this mess. My mom and dad started it for me. :)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ok, now I know I'm going to be 'killed' for this - but I get so tired of the old 'slavery' song. Somebody somewhere must start understanding that slavery was a two-way deal. The people who bought (Europeans, Americans and South Africans etc., etc.,) and the people who supplied, West Africans, East Africans, Central Africans etc., etc., Africans sold Africans into slavery. Africans collected Africans from inland and brought them to the West African coast where there were ports. Slave ship masters bought at the ports from Africans. If you don't believe me, go to Ghana and research the history. Find your roots and see who sold. I am not saying this was a good period in history - I'm simply saying that there are two sides to this coin and I'm tired of hearing one side only.

Where I grew up, it was not slavery, but colonialism that made people unable to take responsibility for themselves. Same song, different words.

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
I have to agree as well

I again have african in my blood and I have to whole heartly agree with that. Its like black people don't want to take responisbility for what there own "people" started as being a way of life. And how could they have known way back when that selling their own race of people to the white man would creat a sh** storm for the next few thousand years.

But wait that is not all. The funniest part about it is this. If you went back in time those same african people who sold the slaves to the white man would say this; You lazy bastards, you have an entire continent coutries in other places of the world and what have you done? NOTHING, that is why your still the slaves of yesteryear and will be that way tommorrow.

If you read my other post I am amazed to learn how white minority of people living in a country where it is majorilly ethinic is still overwhelmingly in controll of the country. I didn't know but now I do. YOU PEOPLE REALLY DON"T care. I can tell you what is right and wrong, but if you don't care then to hell with it.

End note, I think what the people here are trying to say is get over it and make something of yourselves. IT is strongly comming to the point that they problem lies souly with yourselves.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Portuguese and Spaniards (horny bastards they were) did consider the mulato kids their children and would not even consider using them as slaves---PIB

Pib is right. I remember Frank Moya Pons stated this in his history book I read.
Larry

Aside from that..I am not sure where this thread is going.

Last edited:

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
Criss I agree and larry don't sell yourself out

Larry don't sell yourself out like that. I agree with criss saying life will be easier but I believe it is not for the reason of just the sake of being light but better that mulatto children are so beautiful. I wouldn't give up my summer tan for nothing in the world. As a matter of fact that is why people actually lay out on the beach to look like us. heheheeh. I love my color I love my white mother and I loved my african decent father.

Woe is not me.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Destiny

AS I like to tell my sales team members, it doesn't matter
where you come from, it is where you are going to.

JD

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Racism/Colorism/Slavery/Whos To Blame Issue

Is always a "touchy" subject! Differing points of view,different perspectives.We have been "discussing" this subject on DR1 for years.We never have,and never will come to an agreement,but I think it is healthy to express our differing ideas on the subject.many of our "White" ancestors came to America as indentured servants.(Poor white trash from England,with no rights)They had to work for many years to pay off their debt,and gain their "freedom"! They had no money,and no education,and no skills.They were essencially "White Slaves"! I am 56 years old,and I have yet to hear any person tell me that they are poor,uneducated,unemployed,with no chance to better themselves,because their ancestors came to America as an indentured sevant!
My maternal grandfather and grandmother came from Holland to Illinois about 1900.They had nothing except a desire to provide a better future for their children(Who soon numbered7 girls and 7 boys!I think I know where my addiction to sex came from!)Grandpa Vankooi must have worked very hard,in addition to jumping Grandma's "bones" all the time,as he soon had a fuel oil distribution company,and the biggest house I have ever seen! (at that time)Point being,he didn't sit around saying he couldn't get ahead because he didn't speak any English,and the Americans didn' like him because he wore wooden shoes,and short wool pants with suspenders!
Nobody said being succesful would be easy,but they didn't say you couldn't do it either!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc