2 students planning trip to Dominican Republic

J

Jason Hilliard

My friend and I, both 21, are planning a trip to the Dominican Republic and have some questions.

1) When is the "high season" and "low season". We are trying to figure hotel rates and don't know what season August is in.

2) Are there places to stay outside of the big cities? We would like to see the simple countryside, not the tourist areas.

3) What is the best airport to fly into?

V

Vanessa

Hello guys good decision you have made.... The high season in DR is around June-July and in December. In August the rates are around $50-150. Personally, I would go to the eastcoast area around La Romana, or Punta Cana. Since you don't really want to stay in a touristic area go to La Romana, where you have hotels like Reyna Cumayasa, el Tio Tom that are more quiet and cheap. Or you can go to the Higuey area where is more touristic but you get out of the city, and there are tours that can show the country side of the Dominican Republic offered in Punta Cana, Higuey. In Higuey I recommend, Bavaro Beach Resort, and Hodelpa, Bavaro Beach. To me all of them are good in satisfying my needs. Anyway, I hope you guys make the more convinient decision to you, and have a lot of fun!!!

T

Tom

>>>recommend, Bavaro Beach Resort, and Hodelpa, Bavaro Beach. To me all of them are good in satisfying my needs

Unless I misunderstood the post, these guys wanted to be AWAY from the tourist areas, Bavaro Beach???

Tom

J

josgon

I'd suggest landing in Santo Domingo, see the superb Colonial Zone for a few days, and then head north to the mountain towns of Constanza and Jarabacoa. You'll find gorgeous scenery that's somewhat off the beaten track, as well as some relief from the intense heat of August. You might then continue north to one of the north coast beaches (not off the beaten track, but lovely nonetheless) and leave from Puerto Plata airport. Have fun whatever itinerary you decide upon.

N

Natasha

I second Mr. Josgon's suggestions. If possible, I would also go to the Samana peninsula, specifically the town of Las Galeras at the tip of the peninsula. Samana just can't be missed in my opinion. By the way, August is technically "low season". Hope this helps!

Natasha

P

Pam

hello,

My friend and I both students just came back from a 2 week trip to Puerto Plata, Playa Dorada area. We got to see all around the countryside and also the tourist areas. A nice resort to stay at is the Sea Horse Ranch Resort about 25 minutes outside of Puerto Plata. It's in between Sosua and Puerto Plata. I've personally haven't been but I know some people who stayed there and enjoyed it very much because they were not surrounded by tourists. I would suggest staying at a resort in Puerto Plata playa dorada area because it's safe the food is excellent and it's beautiful. But do try and see the outside of the resorts because it is very worth while seeing. We absolutly loved our vacation and we can't wait to go back!

If you have any comments or questions please email me. I'd be glad to answer them.

Canadian_girl99@hotmail.com

from Pam

R

Richard

If you fly into Puerto Plata, you're only 10 minutes and 100 pesos (about $8.00U.S.) from Sosua, a great resort town on the North coast. There's lots of action, discos, scuba, bars etc. There's no shortage of hotels, some of which like Tropix are quite inexpensive. Call Sylvie (809) 571-2291 she's the owner, speaks English, German and Spanish. There's about 10 rooms, honor bar, pool, fridges in each room, and it's only about a ten minute walk from the beach.

W

wilson

Hello guys the best decision for you guys to made it go to

Puerto Plata why it lat of fun I`am from PP.SANTO DOMINGO it lat fun to but it no safe for People the never been ther. So you can take Pam comments.The country side it beautiful and enjoyed it. my country welcom you and your friend.asta la vista and adios.