El Expreso Got Hacked!!!!!

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
HIPOLITO APOYADOR DE PEPE GOYCO is what the online version of El Expreso has been saying, love it.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Sites already down did you happen to screen capture it??? This is way too much fun!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
These people just don't get it [shaking head]

Coming out puffing their chests saying that they have the full might of the police and the military looking for the hackers just doesn't work. 80% of these people have never used a computer and have zero idea of the culture that surrounds hacks.

All they are doing is baiting these kids. Now it's become a game that the local "law enforcement" people don't understand and the hackers will win.

What about the network admins in these newspapers?
What procedures and protocols do they work to?
That's a very good question, when someone finds out, please let me know :)

I wonder when they will hit DR1, that will be cool...

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
This was in Terra.com

<i>25 de Junio de 2003
Detienen a cinco personas por insulto a presidente en Internet

Un mensaje en el sitio de Internet de un diario dominicano que insultaba al presidente del pa?s, Hip?lito Mej?a, se origin? en la computadora de un empleado, seg?n reportaron el martes medios locales.

Fuentes vinculadas a las investigaciones, citadas por diarios locales, dijeron que por lo menos cinco personas fueron arrestadas en relaci?n con el mensaje colocado el lunes en la p?gina Web del peri?dico List?n Diario.

Entre los detenidos figur? el ingeniero de sistemas Manuel Alvarez Cocco, empleado del diario y cu?ado del ex due?o del diario Ram?n Baez Figueroa.

Las investigaciones est?n a cargo del Instituto Dominicano de las Telecomunicaciones, la Polic?a Nacional y los organismos de seguridad del Estado.

Baez Figueroa, presidente del quebrado Banco Intercontinental y ex propietario de un emporio period?stico que inclu?a a List?n Diario, fue arrestado y acusado de fraude el mes pasado, despu?s que el Estado interviniera el banco y compa??as que controlaba, tras anunciar un amplio fraude en la instituci?n.

List?n Diario, un respetado matutino con 114 a?os de vida, no public? el martes su versi?n online, mientras los t?cnicos trabajaban en la seguridad del sitio.

Alvarez Cocco estaba bajo arresto en el Palacio de la Polic?a, en Santo Domingo, junto a otros empleados del diario, pero hasta el martes las autoridades no hab?an formulado cargos.

Terra/Reuters</i>

Do you think someone inside gave them up?

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
They are probably using the hacker as an excuse to arrest people who "cause trouble". I doubt that the polica nacional has a good computer forensic team able to trace this. It takes the FBI here days and even weeks to backtrack every detour a hacker takes. Additionally, usually a hacker will use a third party to do his work -- another computer taken over thru a weak security system-- Plus I've heard that this may have come from England: there is a Darknet hacker organization there.

http://www.darknet.org.uk/

It would be so terrible if they are arresting people for political reasons. In the old days you were a communist, now a hacker? Que Dios salve al pais!
url]

Last edited:

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
In my eyes as long as it does this president some damage I'm cool with it. I hope it keeps coming. He thinks he's bright, right? Well, lets see him figure it out!

DR_DEFENDER

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Robert[/B] said:
Coming out puffing their chests saying that they have the full might of the police and the military looking for the hackers just doesn't work. 80% of these people have never used a computer and have zero idea of the culture that surrounds hacks.
Oh c'mon! Everybody knows that they are hiding in the mountains. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, it will be funny to see them track the hacker(s) with their Remmington typewriters. ;)

Ed_NYC

May 28, 2003
Come on guys, don't put down La Policia Nacional. I've heard that they got a new Cibernetica division armed with these bad boys!!!!

commie1.gif

Commodore 64

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Wangs? C64's? Don't they use electricity?

Just stopped by the PN in Sosua here today and the colonel was taking our report with these new fangled writing sticks with some kinda fluid in 'em. An upgrade from the graphite/charcoal sticks they used last time we were there.

But! He was still writing the information in a "Powder Puff Girls" notebook from Playero ... Really!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
True Story...

I had to get a police report due to a stolen passport.
My surname starts with a "W" and they didn't have a "W"
working on the typewriter. The policeman typing the report
took out the paper, put it in upside down and used the "M" key.

I will say one thing, Dominicans have learn't to improvise and
some do an amazing job at it!

Network Admins

Originally posted by Robert

80% of these people have never used a computer and have zero idea of the culture that surrounds hacks.

What about the network admins in these newspapers?
What procedures and protocols do they work to?
That's a very good question, when someone finds out, please let me know :)

I wonder when they will hit DR1, that will be cool... [/B]

Most Network admins know next to nothing as well, Robert.
No one will hack DR1, you likely have protocols in place and are well protected.

These hacks get into a lot of stuff unknown to the owners, many are just teenage kids but tech wizards to say the least.

Now the "M" for the "W" is a real improvision, who would have thought.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I can imagine it...

General: We are looking for a Hacker that broke in the List?n Diario Website.

Some time later...

Policeman: Sir, we have the man.

General: You do? What's his name?

Policeman [puzzled]: Jaquez sir, he's the 'wachiman' at Listin.

:rolleyes:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Upside down "M" instead of doble "V" (VV). How would that come out on a Remington typewriter?
What improvisation!
mk

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
If someone has the image of the hack of El Expreso, please post it. It would be fun watching it. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2002
Pib said:
I can imagine it...

Policeman: Sir, we have the man.

General: You do? What's his name?

Policeman [puzzled]: Jaquez sir, he's the 'wachiman' at Listin.

:rolleyes:

That's exactly how it will go down.

Interestingly, according to Diario Libre, the famous Roxana Reyes (a goody-goody formerly fired by Hippo) has been assigned to the investigation. The Diario Libre also notes that nobody is sure that hacking expressly violates any Dominican laws. No matter, the watchman will be arrested shortly.

Last edited: