Husband's Citizenship

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
OKAY: First off... do not get on me... I have read and read and read and still want clarification.

This has nothing to do with me as my residency is taken care of.

Husband is moving here in September. He is an American Citizen. Both of his parents were born in the Dominican Republic. They do live in America, they are dual citizens. They only have their US Passports as their Dominican Passports expired years ago and they never bothered getting new ones.

From what I hear getting his citizenship is much easier than everything I had to go throuhg with my residency.

These are my questions:

1) What documents does he need to make sure that he brings from the us (and how many copies, do they need to be translated etc?)?

2) Where does he need to go once he is here?

3) Is the citizenship process as lengthy as the residency process?

4) Do his parents need to be present here?

5) Is there anything else we should know?

We are on the North Coast, but he can fly into the capital if it would make this process easier.

Thank you much

Heather

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
To obtain residency in the DR is not a difficult proposition. You can usually get it in 3 or 4 months without any problems. You obviously had a bad experience. Did you do it with an unexperienced attorney or by yourself?

As for your husband, the documents he needs to obtain citizenship are: a) his birth certificate, authenticated at the nearest Dominican Consulate, showing he is the child of Dominican parents; b) the birth certificates of his parents, authenticated at the Junta Central Electoral; c) affidavit prepared by a Notary Public in which the applicant states his wish to apply for Dominican citizenship. His parents don't have to come down.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Mr. Guzman,

Thank you for your response. I attempted and completed the residency by myself. It was not as much complicated as quite an ordeal because I did not bring all of the required paperwork with me and my lack of spanish (being able to understand but not speak too well).

As for your response in regards to my husband.

We were married in the Dominican Republic and we still have his birth certificate that was translated into Spanish and certified by the Dominican Consulate in the US. Is that considered an authenticated birth certificate?

The birth certificates of his parents... do they have to be the originial or can they be copies? I am unsure if his parents want to send their original and only copy of their birth certificates with him here and the have the ordeal of getting them back to him. If they do have to be originals to be authenticated, can they be authenticated in the US like his was translated and stamped by a Dominican Consulate in the US?

The affadavit... I assume is like our single affadavit was done in the US where we type it in english, have it notarized in the US the send it to the dominican consulate in the US for translation and certification?

If this is all that is necessary it is a much needed relief and he will be quite pleased.

Once he flys into the capital where does he need to go with this information?

Once again, thank you very much for all of your help.

Heather

PS: Does he only need one copy of all of this information?