Extradition Laws

CPYou

Jun 28, 2003
www.vehicleraffle.com
I have a friend that made a nice living in Canada before DirecTV pushed to have the laws changed there. He is looking at taking his little nest egg and moving to a place where he can REALLY enjoy it. Since I have been looking into moving to the DR I suggested it to him. He is worried about the legal problems in the US with DirecTV following him to the DR, or about being able to reopen his online business (selling programmers and software) there.

Anyone know the status of extradition with the US is, or where to point him for more information?

Thanks in advance!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
There's your answer.

Actually if it is a Civil matter there is not much Direct Tv can do unless they sue him down in the DR.
The DR does have laws against satelite piracy also. Not that they enforce it but I am sure that the people who do it in Dr would not look to kindly at a Gringo cutting into there turf.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, there are people out there. Do you want a response or an informed reply to your question?

Fabio Guzman, the attorney who answers the questions to the Legal section that are best answered by an attorney has, believe it or not, other things to do. He checks the questions posted in the Legal section about twice per week. If there was something in your post that indicated the matter was life or death, I missed it.

CPYou

Jun 28, 2003
www.vehicleraffle.com
Pardon me. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess I have just gotten spoiled by the fast responses in the other sections. The tap tap tap was just an attempt to toss some humor into the post.

I apologize.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Missed it by THIS much....

CPYou said:
Pardon me. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess I have just gotten spoiled by the fast responses in the other sections. The tap tap tap was just an attempt to toss some humor into the post.

I apologize.

(hold hands 1 mile apart)...

You might want to know that the DR Gov't has been going all over the place looking for intellectual property pirates and fining and requiring software to be legitimately installed etc.

As such I am not sure opening pirated H/HU (whatever card they are on now) card sales may be opportune if they go after that sort of thing next.

That said I am not sure there is a criminal act that would compel DTV to search into the DR for this guy to charge him and extradite in into the USA for acts he committed while in Canada.

Going up against established competition could be interesting since there is not too much of an aura of legality in this business maybe they might object and demonstrate that to him, I don't know.

As a gringo he'd be a sitting duck though.

CPYou

Jun 28, 2003
www.vehicleraffle.com
Going up against established competition could be interesting since there is not too much of an aura of legality in this business maybe they might object and demonstrate that to him, I don't know.

I think you might be correct. I will relay that MSG to him tonight. Maybe its time for him to make the move there and look into another form of online work.

Thanks for the replys!

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
There is an extradition treaty with the US dating back to 1911 dealing with serious crimes like murder, etc. I don't have it at hand but I'm quite certain that it does not include white-collar or intellectual property crimes.

However, Law 72-02 on Asset Laundering, the one being used in the Baninter case, is extremely broad and may be used against any person who tries to enjoy his/her ?little nest egg? in the Dominican Republic if it was obtained from illegal activities abroad.