Bringing a car over to DR

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Does anyone know what the situation is if you want to bring a car into DR. In a few years I intend to move to the DR to live and was wondering if you could bring in your car from the UK. I know shipping costs would be a few bob, but are there import charges ? Bearing in mind it would not be a 'new' car, only second hand.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I advise not to import a car. When you import a car you have your transportation costs, import taxes, commissions, and having to deal with a system that preys on you. Plus, there is no price tag for your time spent arranging the car movement and the hidden personal and financial costs of the emotional roller-coaster you will be subjected to during the endeavor. Sell the car and allocate the money you would spend to import towards a purchase in the D.R. There are less problems. Regards, PJT

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
moving a car to DR

Hey I just inquired at shipping agencies that make several trips to the DR each week from Miami area. You can not ship a car that is older than 5 years old Point blank..that is the newest law from I believe 2001. I did a search under something like car sales in the DR. I found a web site with nice used cars for about the same price as US prices in Santo Domingo (about $1,000 USD more than in the US) so I am selling my vehicles stateside and buying one there. It seems to be a BIG hassle as the ship can be confiscated and you lose your car, or have to pay bribes to get it when it arrives etc.. etc.. Safer to buy over in the DR. Good Luck on your move!. Pam

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Importing cars into DR

I am specifically interested in the situation as it would apply to a Rolls Royce. No I,m not rich but wondered about doing a wedding car service. You can get a fabulous white Roller in the UK for under ?10,000 (more or less US $ 15,000) and perhaps the more wealthy Dominicans would like the idea of being hitched in one, or even use it as a posh taxi. I guess we are talking about a car of say 15 years old.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Importing cars

Well thanks for the advice, I've perused the Business & Legal threads and it seems that importing a Rolls Royce albeit an old one (and as a reult of the 5 yr limit it wouldn't get in) would be only of benefit to anyone actually working in the port or customs.

They would probably be delighted to see a sparkling Roller turn up, no doubt their houses would soon be adorned with most British of motoring memorabilia. Hey come round to my house and see the Flying Lady mascot I've recently aquired for my mantlepiece.

I have an aquaintance in Puerto Plata who is a businessman, a pretty well to do one, it may be worth asking him if he can pull any strings. I would have thought that a Rolls Royce might have got special consideration though regarding the 5 year thing.

Still, vamos a ver, as they say.....

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
doesnt matter how posh, point blank a car cannot be more than 5 years old

...unless you find a General Barrigon to make a few calls for you. I'm sure one of them must have a wedding coming up in the family. Una mano limpia la otra.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Forgert It..........

As soon as they see your Gringo face you will .........................Pay Big Time.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Like every other law in the DR there are ways around the 5 year rule.
Just last month I know of somebody who brought to vintage cars to the DR. Both were over 25 years old.

That said I don't recommend you try it. This guy was very well connected.