Entry into the DR

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
I can't find anything directly related to this in the archive, so I thought I'd post.

I'm coming down on a tourist card, from the US. I want to apply for my Temporary Resident Permit after arrival, as I intend on staying to live and work.

Do I need to purchase a round trip ticket to get into the country? It is actually cheaper to purchase two one way tickets...one there, one back...than it is to buy a round-trip ticket...

In short, the ? is "Can I get into the country with two one way tickets (one from the US, and one back) or must I purchase a conventional round trip ticket with a 90 day return?

Thanks much.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Buy a round trip, better to be safe than sorry.
Depending on the airline, a one way is not much cheaper than a round trip ticket.

Maybe after 60 days you hate the place, who knows.

The chances of you getting caught at immigration are slim, but why take the risk. It really wouldn't be a fun way to start your new life :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Purchasing a "One-WayTicket" now puts up a "Red Flag"!

Most "Hijackers & Terrorists" purchase a "One-Way Ticket"! Bad people,good businessmen! Guess they figure since they won't be using the "return" ticket,why pay for it!
Anyway,you will be "Looked At" by "Homeland Security" if traveling on a "One-Way Ticket"!

CCCCCCCCCcccris:bandit:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Don't Pay Cash Either

Criss Colon said:
Most "Hijackers & Terrorists" purchase a "One-Way Ticket"! Bad people,good businessmen! Guess they figure since they won't be using the "return" ticket,why pay for it!
Anyway,you will be "Looked At" by "Homeland Security" if traveling on a "One-Way Ticket"!

CCCCCCCCCcccris:bandit:

Cash + one way ticket you attract Homeland Security and the DEA.

I hope they do ask for the ticket so we can read about the first person out of 2,000,000 a year who go and are not asked. Of course they'd ask if they actually said anything to tourists which they don't so I guess it is hard to imagine the subject coming up.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Concerning overstaying your tourist card, don't worry about it. Whenever it has happened to me, I've only had to pay a 100 peso fine.

Concerning a round trip ticket with a distant return date, you will almost certainly want to change whatever the date happens to be, but you don't want to be stuck with the $100 fee. The solution to that problem is to use Aadvantage miles with American for the ticket, if possible. You may be able to "buy" the numer of miles you lack in order to get the ticket. At least a couple of years ago, American didn't charge for changing the return date of such tickets.

Maybe Continental and US Air have similar arrangements - I don't know