Continental fare changes?

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
I have been monitoring the Continental Airlines web site waiting for the last moment to book and still get 30days advanced purchase requirements. Well, I checked today and on the last day the fare dropped $40.00 US from EWR to SDQ.

Does anyone have any info about an announced or unannounced fare reduction or the possibilities of getting a lower fare for travel in mid/late August as the date approaches. I don't want to book early and miss out, but I don't want to get shut out either. Today is "D-day" for 30 days advance.

Also, I have made my plans as to avoid all the confusion of the Pan Am games, estimating the end of events at about Aug 15. If anyone could provide info as to the "official" closing ceremonies, it would offer me some relief.

Thanks

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I wish you would have gotten the fare when Continental had their huge one day sale.

I bought my ticket from EWR to STI and returning from SDQ to EWR from Aug 23-31. I only paid 396.50.

About a week before I bought it, they had the same for 357.60. Seems they had two sales.

I highly doubt that the tickets will go down..as a matter of fact, the flights I purchased are now at 567.80.

Can you fly from JFK? If you can, try to compare prices.

good luck

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
Thanks for the reply,

I found out about the "one day sale" one day too late. By the time it was mentioned it was too late. Also, it seems that Continental was giving better than competitive fares to Santiago and other ports, and have given up competing in SDQ. I'm not sure, but it seems that way.

JFK is an option, but frankly I would not travel from there unless it were 1/2 the price. Too many negatives to list, including the inconvienient schedules offered by all airlines.

Again, thanks for the reply I know I, and i'm sure many others, check this section of the board daily for about two Months prior to any trip. Keep up the good work.

Still waiting for info on Pan Am games ending. I'm trying to avoid the "Madness". I'm also concerned due to the fact that I haven't made reservations for a hotel and intend, as usual, to try my luck when I get to Sto Dgo. I know I get " worked over" calling for a room and usually can do better in person. Any thoughts on Hotel availability Aug.19-23 would be greatly appreciated. If it's going to be tough to get a room due to the games or any other reason I can still get a reservation. I love Columbus park, but I don't want to sleep there.

Papito_Chulo

Jun 10, 2003
there are many good descent apart hotels, rooms are like 30 USD per night. many are available.

Try PLAZA DEL SOL apart hotel