Voice-overs in English/Media Production

Birdie

Jul 31, 2002
Greetings!... I am wondering if anyone on DR1 knows of businesses and/or media production companies on the island who may have a need for experienced voices for voice-over work/narration in English.

I recently moved to the Dominican Republic, but before moving here, I was an actress in a professional theater company part-time, and I often did voice-over work for public and commercial radio, instructional videos, telephone systems, TV and film. I would very much like to find someone here who may need voice-overs from time to time.

I moved here for personal reasons, so I am recreating my working life from scratch. I would be most grateful to anyone who may have helpful suggestions!

Thanks so much,
Jane Allen Wilson

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I did radio ads and one tv commercial.

The voice has to do with timing, inflection, and what kind of personality you can give your voice.

I am sure there is more to it than that, but I wasn't a "pro", I was just good at those things...

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
MaineGirl said:
I did radio ads and one tv commercial.

The voice has to do with timing, inflection, and what kind of personality you can give your voice.

I am sure there is more to it than that, but I wasn't a "pro", I was just good at those things...

Ditto....I was asked to do it one time for a De La Hoya boxing match, from English to Spanish, but halfway through, my voice just got shot to shit and I couldn't do it anymore......

Good luck

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
John S, you are talking about something else: simultaneous translation/live narration which is much more of a challenge than recorded, scripted voiceovers. I am BBC voice tested, have several years of radio experience, and have done video voiceovers for some international development agencies in Santo Domingo when they need a British accent, but these assignments are rare and not particularly well-paid.

Birdie, it is possible that there are ad agencies and companies needing native English speakers to record voiceovers for promotional videos aimed at English speaking clients. I hope that someone here has those sorts of contacts and can put you in touch.

Sadly though, the work usually goes to the boss's niece who THINKS she speaks English. Same goes for translations into English, you only have to read some brochures to realise that.

Chiri

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
voice-over is definitely a skill

If you watch the local TV station showing movies late at night you can hear some really bad voice-over from, oh say, a car dealer who thinks he's an actor. He'll say (phonetically) "We got over a hunnert cars on are lot thatchoo jess hafta seefer yerself" and if you go to broadcast school, they'll teach you how to say "We have over one hundred cars on our lot that you just have to see for yourself." Does your average joe hear the difference? I dunno.
I was a communications major in college and it kinda cursed me for life. Mind you, I couldn't make any money at it either. That's fer shur.
SLM