Speak Not The Truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithrogan

May 12, 2003
It's interesting that when somebody points out some of the less than pleasant truth's about places in DR, you catch a lot of flack and then the moderator shuts the thread down!

For anybody who missed it, I pointed out that Sosua has a criminal element and that the beaches are rather dirty.

Well, some of the locals came on and confirmed those statements. Tor agreed that he would not cross the main road at night unless he was in a taxi. Peter and Alex commented on some recent crimes in nearby Cabarete and then discussed the dirty beaches - adding the fact that local businesses clean them up on sundays - fair enough.
Even Xanadu commented that since DR is not a "1st world country" you can't expect it to be clean.

In different ways, everybody confirmed what I'd said and then went to argue that it was still a nice place to visit and live - an opinion I agree with, by the way.

Yet, Robert then comes on and basically calls me a liar and shuts down the thread...

It's too bad. This could be a valuable resource for people who want to hear both the good AND the bad...

Keith

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I didn't call you a lier, I just pointed out that some of the stuff you posted has been sensationalized and not based on facts. What's wrong with that? I didn't delete your thread, I closed it as it was starting to go south. People can still read it.

For anybody who missed it, I pointed out that Sosua has a criminal element and that the beaches are rather dirty.

Nobody is disagreeing with you. Nobody on this board is that naive to think that Sosua doesn't have it's problems and that you should be aware of your surroundings and use common sense when walking about. This is true of virtually every city, town or village on the planet. And????

It's when YOU say stuff like...

My hotel owner didn't want to "sell me a guide". She just advised me that I should take a cab or motoconcho (rather than walk)
if I didn't want to get mugged returning to the hotel at night - as several of her previous guests had been.

and

And I know where it is safe to walk at night, and where it isn't. I'm just pointing out to the poster here that many parts of Sosua should not be considered safe. This information seems to upset some people...

You and I and many people that post on this board or live in Sosua know that is total rubbish. This is why posters have pulled you apart on the board, it's that simple.

many parts of Sosua should not be considered safe.

After all this time, you are yet to answer the question. What areas?
You stated that many parts of Sosua are not safe. If this is true, don't you think it would be better to inform the posters as to what areas are not safe so they could avoid them?

We are here to inform people of the good and the bad. We have been doing it for 6 years and very successfully thank you.
If we didn't, then we wouldn't have such a large group of knowledgeable and educated posters.

Have you ever read our news, yes were 100% pro DR, I don't think so! We tell it like it is, we are not a mouth piece for anyone. The good and the bad, the truth!

Do you get it yet?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think I added my 2? yet

Having seen sosua over forty years, I can say that yes, it has changed. No it is not what it used to be.

Thirty or forty years ago Sosua was the summer retreat for the rich or near rich from the Cibao Valley, mostly Santiago. There is a house, high above the bay that is called the Casa del Co?o because when people fiirst saw it, all they could say was "Co?o", que casa!!"

Now, those people hardly go to Sosua, having houses inthe mountains South of Santiago or houses in Casa de Campo or Punta Cana.

Might there be a "criminal"element in Sosua? Sure, mostly Europeans, from what I hear, mixed with a few Dominicans that are attracted to foolish tourists. I think that most of the crime is of a white collar variety, with the violent crime being fairly rare, if highly visible. Ken would know a lot more about this as would Eddy or Johnny Honda.

Walking around Sosua (El Batey) is nearly 100% safe. Walking around Charamicos is probably a little less so unless you are accompanied by friends or a couple of locals. I mean, "we can't just let this chicken go unplucked, can we??" is a pretty normal reaction in lots of places around the world.

So, to finalize this too long post, I get the impression that you were given a very wrong steer by a hotel person that had other interests-their own-in mind with that advice..

HB

keithrogan

May 12, 2003
Myself: I'm just pointing out to the poster here that many parts of Sosua should not be considered safe........

Robert: You and I and many people that post on this board or live in Sosua know that is total rubbish....

Yet, in the VERY SAME post you say: "Nobody on this board is that naive to think that Sosua doesn't have it's problems and that you should be aware of your surroundings and use common sense when walking about."

Sorry, you can't have it both ways. It can't be "total rubbish" to suggest that parts of Sosua shouldn't be considered safe, and "naive" to think otherwise...

I don't know what they put in the Kool-Aid down there, but two threads have now gone that way. People agreeing that there are problems, but insulting my intelligence and understanding for pointing out that fact.

Keith

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Can't we put this guy out of his misery?

Keith, when you get the feeling everyone is out of step but you, it is time to look at yourself. It isn't what you say, necessarily, that puts everyone's teeth on edge, but how you say it.

Move on. It seems to me we have all heard everything you have to say on this subject...at least twice.

keithrogan

May 12, 2003
>>>>It isn't what you say, necessarily, that puts everyone's teeth on edge, but how you say it.<<<<<

Thanks for confirming what I said! I'm sorry I didn't describe the crime and dirt in a nicer way...

Keith

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, I didn't confirm what you said. Repeat, I am not confirming what you said.

Not everything you say is wrong; others have told you the same. But you go too far, making it impossible for anyone to agree with you on even those few, repeat few, bits of truth in your posts.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I just returned fro 5 days in Sasua!

I can't wait to get back! Even spent an hour or two on the beach at Cabarete.I walked around Sosua by myself(at first!) at all hours,including 2 and 3 am.No problem! I found both the beaches and streets about 100 % cleaner than most parts of "La Capital"!Part of the reason I can't wait to go back are the DR1ers who live up there!But part of the reason is the food,and easy laid back life style!We even postponed our return to Santo Domingo for a day,it was so relaxing in Sosua!!!!!
This "AIN"T" Bermuda!!!! Thank God for that!Bermuda doesn't have "Eddy,Robert,Scott,Marco,Ken,"XR"-Tom,HB,Graham,AZB,Texas Bill,Tim,"DR1",or lots of other "Characters" that make the DR,and places like Sosua,a "Home"!Cris Colon:cool:

Vietnam Vets had a "Saying" in Vietnam about people who had never "Lived" there,yet "Knew" so much."If you ain't been to "The Nam",Shut The Phuck Up"!The same might be said about those who "Know So Much" about The DR,yet either don't live here,or have 2 weeks experience at an "AI"! ;)

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
No, I am not agreeing with you, Amicus Redux!

Yet, in the VERY SAME post you say: "Nobody on this board is that naive to think that Sosua doesn't have it's problems and that you should be aware of your surroundings and use common sense when walking about."

But just one question ... where in this great wide world of ours would you even think of not paying atention to your surroundings, who's walking by, etc? Where? I have been more nervous walking around Disney World or Universal Studios. I always am aware of what's going on around me. Even while annebriated!

I am amazed considering the differences in income and considering that most tourists seem to leave their brain at the airport as soon as they arrive, that any sort of serious pilfering is so rare, and actual armed attacks even more so.

Bottom line is that anyone who does not pay attention to their surroundings deserves what they get. They asked for it. And yes, they are much more likely to have something happen to them. So if the desk clerk thought you were likely to get mugged she was probably right - she recognized you as one of the wandering tourists who checked his brain at the airport. Doesn't sound like you took it back with you when you left either.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Keith
you still haven't answered Robert's question:

Tell us what parts of Sosua aren't safe? I'd also like to know how many times you've been there.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Room 107 of the Hotel Europa was VERY DANGEROUS the weekend of the 18th!!!!!!!

Just ask the girls who were THERE about "Danger"!!!!!!!! One slip,and they could have been "Crushed" to death!.....Well at least I had fun!!!!!..and I "Injected" some money into a flat economy!!!:cool: CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
"Injected" some money into a flat economy!!! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

How flat Criss Ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc? not too I hope
When were you in the "Lovely People's Republic of Viet Nam???????"
John

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Aaargh! I can't believe that I'm responding again, but let's try a different tack.

Keith, certain parts of Sosua are dangerous to be in by yourself at night - even more so if you are a tourist.

Keith, there is often garbage lying around in Sosua.

Now, let's do it again. Certain parts of New York (Miami, Dubuque, Santiago, Edenborough, Cape Town, Garmisch, Key West, Agra, Jerusalem) are dangerous to be in by yourself at night - even more so if you are a tourist.

There is often garbage lying around in the streets of New York (Miami, Dubuque, Santiago, Edenborough, Cape Town, Garmisch, Key West, Agra, Jerusalem).

Get it yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.