Status of Haiti

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Over a year ago golo made a post about the state of Haiti that seemed to say the country was in bad shape. I know words never convey the impression that a personal visit makes, but what has happened in Haiti over the last year? The US State Departments report states in one part " . . . There is no safe area in Haiti . . . . " as a warning possible vacationers. From what I have herd there is little if any vacation industry in Haiti. In a way I'm sure this is an issue of debate since I have never seen any group here fully agree on anything. If you have had personal experience or know someone who did, please contribute. Here is what golo said over a year ago . . .

In one of my recent posts days ago I used this description of what the situation looked like inside Haiti from what I have been hearing in the streets, including a Haitian engineer who travels there all the time. Fire is not the word. It is more like a holocaust.

Mobs are burning everything on sight. Drug lords are now controlling Haiti. Aristide is practicly out of power. His police force is defenseless against the weaponry being exhibited by the mafia.Even Aristide haters in DR now see him as the only leader capable of maintaining at least sensible communications with the rest of the world. . .. . . . -golo

-Lee

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
There's a wonderfull getaway in Labadie Beach, behind Cap Haitien. It's refreshing after getting to used to heavy tourism industry of the dr... However, apart from that "safe haven" things haven't been improving a great deal in Haiti, even though you see plenty of jeepetas in the streets of the Cap...

Status
Not open for further replies.