Where to find odd items....Help!

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
I realize that the nearest Kroger is not exactly down the road, but has anyone ever seen horseradish in any of the local stores? Not sauce, but the real thing. We are in Villa Gonzalez and go to Santiago several times a week and I've hit all the big ones (Stores that is!).

Also since I doubt any are available here, I have some turinp and mustard green seeds coming in for New Year's dinner. Just hope we receive them in time to plant in our roof garden and then to harvest by the end of the year. Already have my black-eyed peas! Any other southerners out there? We're from Georgia, and I've never missed a year without the traditional meal. Even managed it in the Middle East!

I know we are new to the board, but would it make sense to have a "find it" type forum?

Dianne

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Pib is the cooking expert on the board. She is a frequent poster, and also has her own website. I recommend you contact her by finding one of her posts and clicking the PM or email button, or do it through her website (which I think you will find of interest) http://dominicancooking.com/index.htm

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Horseradish root

If you can locate some fresh horseradish root, it is a simple task to grow your own. Just plant a piece of the root or even a thick slice of the peeling; the stuff will grow just about anywhere. Then just dig it up and grind it as you need it.

My garden here in the USA is full of volunteer horseradish that grew from such peelings. :)

Swede

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Price Smart in Santiago???

I am unsure if they have it.. but they have the largest selection of odd produce (meaning have not seen it in the regular supermercados) that I have seen. I went last week (at the advice of hillbilly... THANK YOU) and picked up some tangerines... I had been craving them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I got some in Santo Domingo

But PIB knows for sure. I have some in the icebox, but don't know if it is any good.

Nacional didn't have it?? Hummmm

HB

Not exactly Black Eyed Peas, but Guandules are very very good!

S

Stephen

Horseradish (as known in the US)

I have been looking for Horseradish for over 5 years, in every supermarket from POP to Santiago, Price Smart, Santo Domingo and all the way to Neyba .......................... haven't found it yet! Would love to know where you got it Hillbilly!??

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Horseradish

Thanks Guys & Gals:

Swede, can you buy horseradish seeds in the states? I could plant some of those to! And I will be checking out the dominican cooking web site.

In answer to Escott's question, we are from Vinings/Smyrna Just north of Atlanta.

HB, the guandules do make a passable substitute for field peas. Already found those little suckers. You should try them with some fried okra and green tomatoes. Tastes just like home!

I'm trying to talk the folks at Pricesmart into bringing it (HR) in. Told them they could corner the market. We'll see.

My test plot of bush beans is looking pretty good. Any advice on keeping them that way They're about 10" tall now. I'm not really a gardener, I just like to play in the dirt!

Dianne