Civil Engineering in DR

C

Chip00

Saludos!

I was wondering if anybody knows of any opportunities for a civil engineer in the DR. I speak spanish sufficiently well (la version dominicana!) and am looking to relocate in order that my wife, una Mocana, is closer to her family. Am willing to work throughout the island. I am a professional in Virgina and Florida. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Chip

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
My cousin-in-law (Dominicana) has a degree in Civil Engineering and she has worked on a couple of projects. But she said you really have to know the right people a.k.a. the pldistas in order to get put onto a project. Then once the project begins the money runs out soon after the first couple weeks and they don't get paid. So then they go home. They get paid and more money comes into the project and they begin again. This cycle repeats itself a couple of times over a couple of years.... and perhaps it will be finished that is if the gov't hasn't changed and they haven't replaced you with another person they owe a favor to.

So perhaps your wife's family might have contacts who could put a good word in for you.

Good Luck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have a problem

Number one, is that you have to become a member of CODIA, which is the engineering , archecture and surveyor's association.

To do this you have to have your degree recognized by a Dominican university, you would probably have to take a few courses, too. Then you might be able to work in your field.

The fact that you don't have very good Spanish will be a hindrance.

And the fact that you need deep pockets tpo be successful, since the major players do houses and apartments on spec.

No a pretty picture for a newbie...

HB

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
This is scary!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm planning to go to INTEC in February to study Civil Engineering now I think I should look at some other options? What do you guys think?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why not go to Intec?

You certainly should not give up a good engineering degree if that is what you want to do.

None of the major engineering firms got that way right out of college.

With a Dominican degree, plus a couple of years experiece working for an engineering firm you can be accepted by Codia.. And there are some advantages such as networking.

HB