Copyrighted images

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Mr. Guzman,

You may not know it, but I maintain a couple of websites about Dominican cooking. The site includes hundreds of original pictures that I've taken in the course of this year. Yesterday I stopped at a certain restaurant to find that they had used one of my pictures in their menu, needless to say due credit was nowhere to be found and they didn't ask my permission to do so.

All the pictures in the website are edited, some heavily, some cropped to adapt it to the standard size I use. I have the originals (in digital form) where the image is shown before been edited. Furthermore, I even have the dish shown in the picture.

I am sure that the work was done by an agency or one of those companies who manufacture menus (the lighted menus hanging from the wall). I didn't appropiately register the picture, but even so when they used it they didn't know that. And I also know that since the burden of proof is on me to prove that they lifted the picture from my site (and I have plenty proof), I am sure it can easily be recognized who the owner of this image is.

I've sold the rights to use of my pictures before, not a fortune, but good money. I am entitled to payment for the use of my picture. What to do?

Thanks for your opinion.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Pib,

I did know you had websites on Dominican cooking because of your email address.

The right to your photos is independent of any formal copyright registration (Art. 154 of Law 65-00). You have the option of starting criminal or civil proceedings against the restaurant owners.