Conquistadors, average soldiers, Moors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
;) :cool: :bandit:

Does anyone have any data on the % mix of the Original Immigrants, Conquistadors, common soldiers, or Moorish decendents who populated this Island of Hispanola??
I am led to believe that the consus is that the influx was pure Spanish. I would take exception to this assumption since Spain was occupied by the Moors for several hundred years prior to being forced out by the Castillanos. I'm certain they left plenty of their progeny in their wake.
Wadda' ya'll think, and why???
:beard: ;)

Texas Bill

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm sure others will have more to contribute than I do on this but I have observed, and some Dominicans have told me, that common Dominican family names originating in Spain reflect Moorish, Jewish (converso) and Visigoth origins. Surnames which begin with 'Ben' are either Jewish or Moorish in origin. Surnames like 'Almanzar' are Moorish. Names which refer to a city in Spain (e.g de Leon) or the name of a tree reveals Jewish converso origins. Remember that by the time the Europeans arrived in the Americas the Jews and Moors had been expelled from Spain (1492).

I don't know about the very first arrivals from Spain but certainly over the years there have been many settlers from Galicia and the Canary Islands - as in the case of much of Latin America.

Chiri

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
the last name MATOS (Spanish version) the real version is Mattos which is Portuguese is a very popular last name in the DR it seems that every other Dominican last name is Mattos (very popular)

Apr 26, 2002
Interesting info, Chirimoya.

For converso Jews and Moors, 1492 was a good time to get out of Dodge. The inquisition was in full gear. It is widely believed that the first European to set foot in the New World from the Santa Maria was Jewish.

Just think, the girl that AZB was with last night might have some Jewish blood!

Unfortunately for the conversos, the inquisition followed them to Santo Domingo, Peru and Mexico.

I read an article about Jewish cultural traits found among some northern Mexicans (e.g. lighting candles on Friday night). I wonder if there are any here in the DR?

I remember explaining to friends that their surname, Perez, is well known to be of Jewish origin. They gasped and immediately crossed themselves. I suspect that the inquisition lives much more strongly in people than any Jewish traits.

Knowing Dominican history, I question how much Dominican lineage can be traced to the conquistadors anyway. Remember that anybody who had any means at all fled the island during the 18th and early 19th century, and that the North coast was abandoned by the Spanish altogether (with the Spaniards ordered to move to Monte Plata - named after a contraction of Monte Cristi and Puerto Plata - in the interior) and essentially ceded to pirates. I suspect, as Chirimoya points out, that the European aspect of the Dominican ethnicity is (unlike Northern Mexico) more traceable to later Spanish (Canary Island and Galician) immigration, as well as to Dutch/Portuguese/French/British pirates and traders.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
Written by an undergraduate

Am I the only one who finds this piece to be politically loaded?

Why wouldn't there be a written record in Morocco or Egypt of these western conquests? There were extensive records of the eastern conquests of Islam. And, at the time of the alleged conquest, Moslems were the most literate people on the planet.

Also, where is the cultural evidence of this conquest. Where are the Islamic vestiges. Are we really to believe that Columbus found them, but nobody else?

Sounds dubious, but politically convenient, to me.

To me, the much more interesting trend in true Islamic research is the retranslation of the texts from their original language. For example, that instead of martyrs getting virgins, a true organic translation gets them "fruit" in heaven instead. Perhaps, though, under the revised translations the martyrs still get "beautiful boys." Aren't there some disappointed terrorists about now? Well, 10% of them might be happy with this outcome.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
so if its not written in the western history so it mustn't be true. I get it.
Did you know many egyptian mumies were found to have their organs wrapped in tobacco leafs? Where was tobacco found? It was not found the the old world.
The truth is that when cruseders conquered spain they burnt arab literature or translated it into their own languages and claimed credit. They killed every single arab living in south spain.

Why not check the author's sources to confirm his claim? By the way, he is not the only one who is claiming all this.
But wait, CNN didn't do a show on this so all this must be BS.

About the 17 virgins, see how often you guys repeat like a parrot what CNN and the western media tells you? Oh yeah, we kill women and make slaves out of them.
Porfio, I thought you were smarter than that but maybe you should also stick to PIB's oneliner responses.
Keep reading the western media and western history, I am impressed.

Apr 26, 2002
AZB said:
The truth is that when cruseders conquered spain they burnt arab literature or translated it into their own languages and claimed credit. They killed every single arab living in south spain.

A poor explanation for why there is no written record in Spain (actually, I mentioned Egypt and Morocco) about a western conquest of Islam to the Americas. In fact, what you imply is contradicted by the same website that you quote, which states:

"Bulan, the ruler of Khazaria, became converted to Judaism around 740 A.D. His nobles and, somewhat later, his people followed suit. Some details of these events are contained in letters exchanged between Khagan Joseph of Khazaria and R. Hasdai Ibn Shaprut of Cordova, doctor and quasi foreign minister to Sultan Abd al-Rahman, the Caliph of Spain. This correspondence (around 936-950) was first published in 1577 ..."

So there are obviously surviving records from Moorish Spain, yet the author you point us to does not cite any of it even though it would seem to be the most relevant.

In addition, it was always my understanding that the Moors were evicted from Spain, and that the Castillanos did not "kill every last Arab". This is not to say that the inquisition was not brutal, just that it was not as homicidal as it has been made out to be.

As for the virgins, sorry if its a sore subject raised too often in your opinion by CNN. But please do tell us CNN lackeys how it is wrong.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
TonyC, you don't have to kiss jewish ass everyday. They know you are serving them well.

So you folks actually believe Columbus was the first man to discover the new world?
Discover???? Hahahaha, there were people already living in the new world so the fool didn't even rediscover it.

Since the main stream media won't print anything which doesn't reflect the first world beliefs then I guess anything that appears on the internet is totally false.
Ok, guys I am all with you. let me try to act like a CNN programmed robot. I would like to see how it feels to be a totally reprogrammed dummy for a day (atleast).

Apr 26, 2002
Ironically, AZB, coverage of some of the interesting organic translations of the Quo'ran has been banned in your beloved Pakistan. http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/953129/posts?page=6

So while we may all be slaves to the Jews and brainwashed by our steady feed of CNN, at least WE are ALLOWED to hear YOUR opinions. The Islamic world needs to learn that when a written position is subject to free and open criticism, it automatically gains more credibility.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"Moors were evicted from Spain, and that the Castillanos did not "kill every last Arab". This is not to say that the inquisition was not brutal, just that it was not as homicidal as it has been made out to be." porfio.

So it leaves the jews to be the only unfortunate people on earth who were slaughtered by the nazis?

The truth is, when the christains took back spain, they killed every living arab muslim. Slaughtered women and children alike. Yes, in the name of god (your god) and revenge.

Now about conquering the new world; north african arabs never mention of conquering the new world. There is simply a mention of arab existance and presence of islam in the new world. there were detailed maps of the transatlantic voyages to the new world and moors had a steady trade with the people there. When columbus traveled to the new world, guess where did he get his maps from? He got them from the arabs.
Like I said, after the take over of spain by the christains, not a single moor was left alive. all their literature was rewritten and taken credit by the westerners.
This is all there if you care to research. Cnn, time magazine will never publish that.
Have a nice day.
AZB

Apr 26, 2002
AZB said:
Now about conquering the new world; north african arabs never mention of conquering the new world. There is simply a mention of arab existance and presence of islam in the new world. there were detailed maps of the transatlantic voyages to the new world and moors had a steady trade with the people there. When columbus traveled to the new world, guess where did he get his maps from? He got them from the arabs.
AZB

AZB,

The spread of Islam during the middle ages was practically always by the sword. This is why some Persians now view Islam as an alien religion forced on them by the Arabs.

Please, please, please, if you have any copies of these "detailed maps" of the new world from the time prior to Columbus, I would very much like to see them. In fact, if you can produce them, you win this debate hands down and I will convert to the religion of your choice (I'm currently a Zoroaster with Ismaeli tendancies).

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So let me get it straight: in order for me to convince you I would have to bring you the ancient maps.
let me ask you this: did the jews ever show you the soap bars the nazi made from human fat or did you ever see the gas generators which jews claim have killed 6 million jews to affirm your beliefs in the holocaust atrocities?
No, you just took their word for it because there is a new holocaust movie out every summer and you see many holocaust survivors crying on TV.

I wish americans never should have taken out the english version of Al-jazeera webpage. The other side of the truth. So much for american spread of democracy and freedom of press. Another journalist was killed for covering which never should be shown on the CNN.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
From AZB's source:
The German art historian, Alexander Von Wuthenau, also provides evidence that Islamic peoples were in America, in the time between 300 and 900 C.E. This was at least half a millennium before Columbus was born!bolding mine
And more than 200 years before Mohammed was born!

Amazing! I am convinced. :rolleyes:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Would it be fair to say that arabs were there even if they weren't muslims yet? Maybe all the arabs were born when Mohammed gave borth to them? The point being that arabs were trading with the new world for a lonnnnngggg time. Then they brought the religion to them but that doesn't mean all the natives converted or were forced to convert as in the case of conquestadores.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Let me spell it out for you:

Arab IS NOT Islamic. Islamic IS NOT Arab. I would suppose you knew that.

The article says, "Islamic peoples were in America, in the time between 300 and 900 C.E.". That means member of the ISLAMIC religion, not Africans, not Arabs, not pakistanis, MUSLIMS, were in America before Mohammed was even born!

I am baffled.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Mohammad was born, according to Muslim historians, on April 20, 571

I think it would also be fair to say that the media no matter where, does not always give you the full story.

the author should have been a bit more careful because his article will lose credibility even if everything else he wrote was true

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.