woman alone in DR

dr lover

Aug 17, 2003
Hello, i am new here and a read some forums, now i have some questions hope someone can help me.I gona travel alone to Puerto Plata and i gonna stay in one of the riu hotels in maimon.I had hope to get out of the hotel at night because i like to dance.Now i was reading about sankies i want to ask some help.Who can i ask to go with me to a disco outside the hotel?I read that you can't trust animation guys, can i go with bartenders or people who work in restaurant.When we go must i pay for the taxi and their drinks.I have not a problem with that but i understand you must be carreful.Maby someone can give me a name of a boy who works in riu bachata or riu merengue who i can trust to go out with.I just want to go dancing nothing else.Thank you

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
huh?

Why dont you just go to the Disco alone, sit at the bar or a table and wait for guys to come up to you. If all you want to do is dance, then dance. If you dont want to buy them drinks then dont. There will be plenty of sankies in the disco looking for victums. Just be aware of who you are dealing with.

Larry

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Welcome to DR1

Please bring with you the same brain you are now using at home. Whatever you wouldn't do at home, you don't have to do in the DR.
Have fun. Don't worry too much.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I went to Puerto Plata alone and stayed at Villas Doradas. I, too, wanted to get out of the complex. I got to know a woman in one of the gift shops in hotel and she invited me to go to a disco in town that Sat. night. We went and I had a great time (true, I paid for the taxi and our drinks--not expensive).

I would highly suggest getting out of the complex and even taking a taxi to another town. I traveled to Sosua alone via taxi and met some wonderful people at the Britannia. Not very many Dominicans there, but at least I got to see another town and the countryside. My taxi driver was very protective of me and made sure I was well taken care of.

Just use your head and have a great time.

Tondra

dr lover

Aug 17, 2003
2 weeks to go

Can someone give me some more information please because i have looked at other forums but didn't found anything.I dont want to fall into the arms of a sankie.i want to know must i tell the boy before we leave the hotel i just want to dance .And are they gonna listen when i say NO.Thank you

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You are worrying tooooo much. No means NO in most languages. After that it's called something else. No one is going to force themselves on a tourist. They know better.

Last edited:

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
i agree with Anna

You are worrying way too much and if you keep this up, you will not enjoy your vacation.
I have traveled alone to the DR many times. When I didn't want to go out alone, I asked a couple of the guys from the animation team to go with me. Yes, I would pay for the cab and their drinks, but they always made sure that no one in the clubs bothered me (unless I wanted them to!). So, I had no problem paying for that service. However, if they ever tried to cross the line, I always made it clear to them that I was not interested. There are plenty of women around to keep them busy and I would turn the guys right around and point them in the other direction.
If you're still worried about going out with the guys from the hotel, then meet some people who are also staying at your hotel. During several trips, I hung out with a bunch of women (single, divorced, married), and we were out every single night together. You'll meet people the first night when you're having dinner. Don't sit by yourself. Look for an interesting group and ask if you could sit with them.

Once again, don't worry so much. You'll have a great time!

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Re: 2 weeks to go

Maby someone can give me a name of a boy who works in riu bachata or riu merengue who i can trust to go out with.I just want to go dancing nothing else.Thank you

I don't have a sure thing, but I know some good people, there is a chance, but if your not willing to give a general description that might sound enticing, I can't help. Having blond or brown (which is considered blond here ;) ) hair helps.

dr lover said:
Can someone give me some more information please because i have looked at other forums but didn't found anything.I dont want to fall into the arms of a sankie.i want to know must i tell the boy before we leave the hotel i just want to dance .And are they gonna listen when i say NO.Thank you

No means no, but do they listen? Even in the US I'd recommend a primarily public date at first (i.e. in public places).

-Lee

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
As I said before, go down and have a great time--nothing to worry about. I, too. was overly concerned and with BushBaby's encouragment I ventured out and had not regrets.

Have fun!!!

Tondra

crambi

Jun 14, 2003
Re: 2 weeks to go

dr lover said:

You only want to dance? And after dancing?

dr lover

Aug 17, 2003
Hi, after dancing i just want to go back to my hotel.I think not every single woman is looking for seks.I hope i met a nice guy but now when a read a those stories about sankies i dont know anymore.I am not afraid but you must no i have blond hair en green blue eyes, and i always smile.So i read thats the kind women dominican men likes.But i read enough and i gonna have a good time.I just dont want to be involed with a sankie thats all.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
OK enough already...

Anyone in her area of travel care to meet her and take her dancing? Some of the single DR1 men in the area she will be in could take her dancing and maybe make a new friend themselves. Just go have a good time..The DR sankies are supposed to be everywhere but who cares if you like to dance they do too so I am told! I would be more afraid in Orlando FLorida than in the DR. Have fun, stop worrying and enjoy your trip..Paranoia will ruin your stay! :) Pam

dr lover

Aug 17, 2003
Hi i'm 30years, have blond hair and green-blue eyes, not overweight, and 1,70m. I want just to make new friends who i can trust and go out with every night.

Bonita

Aug 28, 2003
When are you going?

Hi Dr lover

When are you going to the DR? Wich hotel? I'm also travelling alone and I'll stay in the Riu Mambo at the end off September.

diablorojo

I look better in pink...
Sep 7, 2003
Anywhere in Latin America.....if you are a woman travelling alone, wear a wedding band.....don't get yourself noticed, avoid eye contact, the men will take it as an invitation.....if you can, befriend some women or some other tourist women, and when you go out....try to go to classier local places rather than tourist traps or where regular locals hang out....You have to keep your safety and your comfort level in mind when you go out...... Play it safe and you'll have fun..... Get all caught up in the excitement and the attention and you'll be taken advantage of......

ignacio

Sep 8, 2003
Hi dr lov

Hi..! i live at D.R. i hope you enjoy your visit to our country this is a great place to have fun. I think you have to take care who you meet with.. too.
I live in Santiago City, 45 minutes from Sosua. If you want you can contact me, and who knows, we can meet for dancing..
Anyways i hope you have a great time at this happy and hot island... Take care yourself ....

Ignacio.. ( waiting your ansuer )

ahh! im not sankie... jaja.